Beat Grid Issues

So many tracks that I analyze start the beat grid 1 beat into the song instead of at the beginning. I tried manually setting cue points before hand but when I play on my SC5000’s the song stutters at the beginning causing it to be out of sync when I start from those cue’s. Adjusting the beat grid doesn’t work as once I get to the beginning like it should be it just resets back to where it is in the pictures.

Examples below:

2 Likes

I have exactly this same problem! The software needs to be improved. Everyone knows it. I’ve given up even trying to adjust all the tracks and am hoping they fix this so I can just reanalyse everything! I feel your pain :cry:

2 Likes

Hello @prgmitchell and thank you for posting. We understand and accept your feedback, we are listening! Our Dev Team is working round the clock to make sure that our Engine PRIME software is where it needs to be. Please continue to provide any feedback, but also take a look at our Feature Requests, for opportunities to vote on features you’d like to see in our hardware and software!

3 Likes

The specific various features we would like to see will be welcomed only after the fundamental features of the software work flawlessly with the entire range of your products. While it’s a good thing to vote for a specific feature, it is better to have the basics (good database management, good BPM analysis or at least the ability to import the BPM values already stored in the files ID3TAG, precise cue points that can be set to the millisecond) working flawlessly. As long as the software cant be used effectively with the whole range of products you’ll have many customers unhappy, stuck with expensive pieces of audio hardware that can’t be used reliably.

Lovely sentiments to a certain degree but with a slight issue. Everyone will have their own idea or desire or need for what “the basics” are.

It’s Like those DJs who only have a couple of thousand tracks, won’t care all that much about database management or sorting or searching - as a couple of thousand tracks is easy to work with even with little or no management

Likewise, some DJs won’t use beatgrid, some won’t use scratching features, some won’t use the waveform, some won’t use auto features, some won’t use on-deck analysis, some won’t use quantise etc and so on.

I’m sure by now that Denon have counted enough votes In here to know what to put in the next firmware update and probably the 3 updates after that too

Well, the basics on our case is the database management features that counts, because Engine Prime main purpose is to organise and maintain a music library database, with information contained within the music files ID3TAG. Other features will be specific to a dedicated DJ software. It is hard to please everyone, but here, Denon DJ should step up and decide what they want for the Engine Prime software as main features, and, later, gradually develop the features associated with music manipulation.

1 Like

I hear ya. Although again, you’re saying that Denon should put “your choice” as the top priority.

Yes, your top priority will be the same as some others, as yes, you could say that you’ve interviewed 99 DJs in your town/club/association/forum and they all agree with you and all that.

Yours isn’t a bad suggestion, or the lowest priority suggestion - compared to others who want the waveforms prettier or a whole new sampler added

Also, reading some of the comments from the forum, some just want frequent updates seemingly regardless of what’s in them. So if denon think it’s going to take a year to decode detail-lacking requests of “make Engine work better” but they think they can add 20 tiny features easily, they might choose a route which would give them less headaches.

Never easy and never any right or wrong answers.

It is not about my choice. It is about Denon DJ having a clear plan for Engine Prime software and what they want for it to be in the first place. It needs a strategy for a good development, and according to Denon DJ, the software is intended to be at its core a database management application. So, the main priority is to ensure it can handle well the music database creation, organisation and export to different devices. It all starts with flawless database management, because everyone needs it to be able to plan the music sets. It’s the same case as having a mixer with a lot of bells and whistles, but not being able to handle the basic mixing functions well. It’s a good thing that Denon DJ listen to its customers proposals for different features, but many of them are optional. The features that are usable by everyone and mandatory are a priority here, because they allow the software and hardware to be used together.

1 Like