Bad Sound in X1800 HELP

So very overtly bad, I assume?

Maybe the soundcar is your problem. I and many others have more trouble with the Sweep FX and effect section of the mixer.

He would need access to another unit or have his current one serviced to rule out either hardware problems or the firmware update messing something up. However, he says heā€™d never listened to it at home in a familiar environment until he did the update. I have two X1800s and they both sound identical and slightly dry, constrained, grainy, and lacking shimmer or delicacyā€¦ kind of physical and workmanlike. It doesnā€™t sound obviously distorted. The newest firmware for the players sounds more dry compared to the older version even though the highs are now more extended, and I suspect heā€™s hearing partly them, too. So if most of what heā€™s hearing is subtle, I assume itā€™s not something messed up.

The new Firmware on the X1800 causes more trouble then it fixed things I believe. My complete Sweep FX section feels disorted after the update. So Denon needs to fix their firmware update for the X1800. But it feels just a bit too silent from Team Denon about the mixer.

Hmmā€¦ I havenā€™t noticed a big change on the sweep effects. You still having issues with the gate?

The OP may also want to try changing the sample rate on the X1800. Itā€™s possible the op amps on it might have an easier time with 44.1khz mode, as ultrasonics sometimes produce poorer quality performance on them if theyā€™re not up to it ā€“ some opamps measurements (amps in general) can degrade. I mean, when Iā€™m streaming I donā€™t use 96khz mode, anyway, on it usually, and it was the X1700 that really hit a home run on its 96khz mode, IMO. Youā€™re not really missing out on anything magically-musical on the X1800ā€™s processing if you donā€™t use 96khz.

He could always try running the SPDIF or the USB to an outboard DAC or DSP, too. Like USB to use his computerā€™s soundcard that he likes. At least heā€™ll find out if itā€™s the DAC & opamps or if itā€™s the mixerā€™s processing (in general or in a particular mode) heā€™s not a fan of. The ultrasonics and opamps thing could also be a factor that might be improved with a different outboard converter.

Oh, and he should try running audio from his computer to the mixer over USB to see how much of it heā€™s hearing is the mixer and how much is the players.

Not only with the gate. I dont use any computers. Just a usb and two sc5000 next to them. But yeah still have loads of trouble with the 1.2 update on the x1800

Sorry, I didnā€™t mean using a computer was related to your sweep effects issue. I meant ways for the OP to figure out whatā€™s going on with his sound issue by process of elimination.

Unless heā€™s hearing massive problems, if itā€™s just a little dryness, constrained quality, lack of shimmer, some grain, wooliness, and high hats a bit like spraying a can of compressed air is kind of what Iā€™d describe as the sonic flavor of Prime right now, a combination of the players and mixer together. Iā€™m trying to help him figure out how much is the players, how much is the mixerā€™s processing, and how much are the analog outs on the mixer contributing to the aspect he dislikes the most. Come to think of it, he should also try another mixer completely with the Prime players. Hook the players up to a Pioneer he apparently likes, a Xone, etc. Iā€™ve found some positive aspects to the analog Xones with them, but Iā€™m uncertain why. Lots of different things he can try to narrow it down.

My sweep effects seem fine other than the slight deadzone thing. I think you need to call InMusic tomorrow and find out if your mixer might have a problem.

I have it the other way around. Music sounds very fat, but the sweep effects are likeā€¦ā€˜censoringā€™.

I was playing a party on Saturday. I had to change a bit preset in dsp sound system and specifically reduce by 2.5 db in the area of 12khz because the microphone was incredibly tight. Soon I will arrange with my friend, the sound engineer, and we will take measurements. We will also compare the denon and pioneer consoles

Another thing you might want to try: turn the X1800 into iso mode and tweak all the tone knobs slightly in the same direction to kick the iso out of bypass that itā€™s in at 12 oā€™clock. The bypass capability on it is a welcome feature, but we might sometimes also miss phase distortion group delay effects from other mixers that weā€™ve become unconsciously accustomed to. I particularly find this to be the case with progressive house and trance.

Two of my favorite other mixers are the X1700 and the MP2015, and those always have the channel isos in the processing pathā€¦ somewhat to my dismay on the MP2015 considering it already has a bypassable master iso and, indeed, Iā€™d have peace of mind with the X1800ā€™s channel iso bypass on them or, better yet, normal channel EQs. The DB4 is another special mixer and Iā€™ve repeatedly preferred it in iso mode as compared to when set to filter mode and bypass with its knobs at their ends, finding bypass sometimes too dry.

Not saying this is definitely what youā€™re hearing or that the X1800 isnā€™t in need of further development, but it might be something to consider as a possible contributing factorā€¦ and it doesnā€™t cost anything or take much effort to try ā€“ just set the X1800 to iso and tweak all those tone knobs a bit. As long as theyā€™re not at 12 oā€™clock, the group delays will be fixed for the particular corner frequencies youā€™ve set, as in iso mode the knobs are just controlling band volume on the summed crossover, not corner frequency, feedback, resonance, or magnitude of a filter.

I think there are two different versions of the X1800 mixer. The one that works perfect and the one I have. (It works when it feels like) Sound dropping out and clicking from the mixer, are wrecking my head.

This is a ā€œknownā€ defect. Itā€™s a grounding issue. Contact support.

Neither of my x1800s do that.