Bad Sound in X1800 HELP

I have a problem with sound in x1800. I played before with djm900nsx and cdj2000nsx. NAW VMS 1815 sound system for Polish production on b & c speakers Link https://www.naw.com.pl/produkty/zestawy-naglosnieniowe/naw-vm-system-vms1815-dsp-3300w The sound was great. Now I have x1800 and sc5000. The sound is dry, I miss the clarity of sound, high tones. When I was conducting the first parties on the denon set, it seemed to me that it was ok but the rooms were very small. I updated the x1800 to version 1.2 and for the first time I hooked up the equipment at home. The sound from my computer was better than from the denon set. My sound card on the computer is a cheap creative. Can anyone help me? Maybe I made a wrong update?

Update was done via usb 1 in the mixer. I kept 3 buttons and turned on the firmware updater 2. At the end I made a factory reset. Sound is still so.

My files which I use are mp3 320kbps and Flac

Sorry for my English

This was a problem with the players that Denon DJ have fixed in firmware version 1.3.1

1 Like

They definitely improved the high frequency extension. If you compare Prime system to my CDJ900s with keylock off or pitch at zero, Prime still has 100x the IMD+noise on RMAA and rather loud distortion harmonics. Why? Can this be fixed? Will this be fixed or otherwise mitigated? It’s got a bit of a signature that gets worse on denser content, but it’s not that offensive on dynamic or sparse stuff. These rabid customers all had to have their all-in-one, so give InMusic some time. They just opened a coding facility in NZ. I got a longer post on the engine forum. Have hope.

1 Like

Slightly-related topic?

Sure it are not your speakers? I use a €6000 PA system, but the Denons sound better then the DJM 900nxs on that setup. Never had Audio issues before.

You don’t think the Prime system is missing any sparkle and shimmer or spatial openness? I thought I noticed even the CDJs into the X1800 take on a dryer, damped, slightly powdery or grainy (not harsh, though) quality compared to my Pioneer, Rane, or Xones. I believe I can hear the subtle difference even in this:

1 Like

Maybe you have a different soundcard then my mixer.

Hah hah… well if you’re listening to that video through the X1800 that’s probably not going to reveal whatever real differences there might be… assuming there are any. I didn’t even think of that :slight_smile:

By the way, I assume the OP is mostly hearing the players, but I think the mixer does have its own subtle signature. I just haven’t been able to measure anything that would cause the mixer’s signature as I have on the players.

My sound system is worth over EUR 5,000 and is on really good components and loudspeakers. So it’s definitely not the problem of my sound system

Maybe the soundcard then.

He said he liked the NXS2 system and his sound card both better than the Prime system’s sound.

Yes, but my X1800 soundcard sounds better then the nxs2 mixer. So that is maybe for each mixer different.

You mean different versions of the X1800? I don’t think so.

The X1800 and the DJM900NXS2 I think do have slightly different sound. Some people overall prefer the sound of one over the other. I think the X1700, DB4, and MP2015 sound better than either, but the X1800 sounds more organic and real while being a bit over-damped, dry, and constrained than the NXS2, while the NXS2 sounds more open, smooth, and vibrant while sounding kind of artificially refined and polite than the X1800.

If you’re comparing the entire NXS2 system to the entire Prime system, then I think there are further sonic strengths and weaknesses, with the most obvious strength for Prime being with keylock on and pitch down while the Pioneer’s the benchmark with keylock off or at zero and even very good at positive pitch with keylock on. The mixer differences are totally subjective and haven’t thus far been demonstrated with measurements, but the player differences can, at least in part, be empirically shown.

I guess it comes down to how one is using the players or willing to mostly use them. While I wouldn’t recommend the current-firmware Prime system even after the latest update as an audiophile listening front end while the Pioneer system and especially their players are available, I wouldn’t have much issue at all with just DJing on the Prime players, even on the X1800, with dynamic or minimalist material… especially if I was doing key changes carefree. Prime’s sonic faults, in my opinion, starts to get more noticeable on music that’s compressed or has a lot going on, but then on Pioneers you have to be more careful what you’re doing with the pitch when keylock is on compared to Prime.

Yes. The older versions could have a different soundcard then the newer versions. By Pioneer mixers you have the same issue. Allen & Health mixers also.

Possibly, but I highly doubt the X1800 hardware has changed in any significant ways over the production lots since release that sound quality would be effected.

1. He was mostly talking about using the entire Prime system and entire NXS2 system and you keep going on about the sound card. He only mentioned a sound card to the extent of updating the firmwares on Prime and saying he still thought even his home sound card was nicer for listening… I presume directly into whatever headphones or sound system.

2. Not sure what you’re talking about with Pioneer and A&H changing their internal USB soundcard hardware on their mixers without changing the model number obviously. You have examples of this? I’ve heard people complaining about the original DJM-900 Nexus USB soundcard abilities being inferior to the one on the NXS2, but that’s about it. I really don’t understand why people weren’t just using the ones on the CDJ2000s if the Nexus mixer had issues… maybe the SRT owners were the main ones bringing it up.

Sound quality has a “scientific” and a “subjective” component. The first one needs noise generators, analyzers, scopes and such. It will tell you how true waveforms are, what frequency response (coloring) is native to the gear, etc.

The second depends on so many factors and situations that it makes it highly personal.

As an example, studio monitor are designed to be brutally “honest”, i.e. not coloring the sound and reproducing everything as it was recorded. This is necessary to properly adjust what needs to be adjusted. This makes studio monitors excellent tools for the job. Try listening to music for a longer period of time and your ears will tire. That is not what they are good at/for. It’s why hifi/home stereo speakers always have coloring of their own. And that is where subjectiveness comes into the equation. Every brand and even model can have it’s own “signature”. One that one person likes and the other doesn’t.

All that makes it hard, imho, to claim better or worse quality.

1 Like

I can claim objective degradation on the Prime players at zero pitch and/or no keylock compared to the industry standard and back it up, but I cannot prove as yet specific maladies on the X1800. So far the mixer measures well even though subjectively I believe I hear a difference from other mixers. The players sound processing issues as I already mentioned might need a future core audio processing code overhaul to get drastic improvements, but they also appear to have a limiter in place, at least prior to the bit depth and sample rate conversions to the SPDIF output that should have an easy short-term fix prior to other changes if this is the case.

1 Like

Yes, When I had trouble with my DJM900NXS, Pioneer just send me a other one with different soundcard. Problem fixed.

You mean outright damaged? I presume if the OP has horrendous sound from a defect and it’s not just a little dry, constrained, and grainy, he/she would guess it’s busted, right? How did your problem with the DJM900NXS present?

The soundcard had trouble with the XLR slots. Not sending the right signals out to the active loudspeakers.