“Auto BPM” Functionality Explained?

I’ve seen some tidbits around the forum, but how does “Auto BPM” actually function? The goal for me would be to utilize the Auto BPM function to more quickly and accurately beatmatch vinyl and digital sources.

If I’ve got a 12” vinyl track playing on the turntable and I switch the FX Channel Assign to the tt Channel, how long should I expect to land an accurate Auto BPM reading?

What if I change the pitch on the tt, how long should that take for the Auto BPM to catch up?

Based on my experiments it seems like the Auto BPM swings a bit after 5 or 6 seconds, and then lands on… something, but not necessarily the accurate BPM of the 12” that’s playing.

I’ve been fiddling with changing the FX Channel Assign and back to ‘reset’ the Auto BPM calculator in the hopes of getting more accurate readings more quickly, but so far my experiments have not yielded much accuracy.

This is the first feature on the x1850 that has not far exceeded my expectations. My hope is it’s user error.

Thanks for any assistance, Christopher

1 Like

Bumpity bump

1 Like

try using the Tap and that will be your second. Wonder if they go hand in hand because I can say the tap is useless (mind you I have not tried it again after the last update but don’t recall seeing anything about it on the release notes).

My guess would be that the majority of the users are using SC decks so the BPM is grabbed from the decks so not a lot of people seeing the true accuracy of this feature the way you are.

What’s wrong with the tap function?

Nothing per se, though even with a steady hand it’s hard to nail it precisely, don’t you think? Also it sort of seems like the tap number might average out after a certain number of taps? I would just like to know more about the architecture and functionality of these features (auto and tap), so I might use them more skillfully. As it is, though I am very experienced with these features on this and other mixers, I find it’s hard to nail a precise value with either.

1 Like

When I’ve used it, it’s been comparable with pretty much any other DJ hardware or software Tap button. It can make a calculation of bpm in just 4 or 5 presses, but more presses help to average out DJ user error. Like if tap 3 was a bit late being pressed, making it longer after tap 2 (suggesting a slower bpm) and making it closer to tap 4 (suggesting a higher bpm)

A very overly trusting bpm tap button, placing 100% faith in the DJs timing and skills would tell you the BPM the moment the second tap was tapped.