Any plans to improve the sound quality?

That! That’s exactly what I think about the Prime set up sound

Yes, XLR analog output quality does vary widely. It’s a utility connection for long runs and/or around RF/EM interference, not some audiophile connection. The only really hi-fi implementation of it is for special applications like push-pull headphone amps since normal headphone cables otherwise have no separate negatives for each channel and share a ground wire. Most of Prime’s signature, though, is totally separate from XLR out quality since it’s present going digital to digital to a DCX or recording USB. I also don’t hear a substantial difference between the X1800 XLR outs and the ones on a Tascam interface when I go into it digitally with Prime.

I’ve yet to try the P4 in another configuration but the P4 direct into the system was as described above but adding it to the in-house DJM 850 via RCA input made it sound natural again.

I’ll test more in just over a month when I get back to work as the cause is intriguing me.

At home I have a RCA mixer connected. The sound is the same as if I connected via XLR

For me it was night and day in the club. RCA was 100% better.

Hopefully they get an audio optimisation fix out at some point.

1 Like

Possible, but the Pioneer mixer could have also mostly been covering over some of the P4’s other problems. Have you tried comparing the XLR direct into a sound system vs the RCA direct into a sound system with no other change? On equally-short runs without massive EMI/RFI around, XLR is usually measurably worse other than total dynamic range (because it’s a louder signal) because the phase matching, especially at of the ends of the frequency range between the + and -, is usually not perfect, and the differential amp at the input is going to pass along a less accurate signal than the RCA. The DJM, though, is also going to have resistive pots, opamp, filters, and AD conversion, then DSP stuff, then DAC, then another opamp stage. And if in the DSP stage an iso was turned on, you might also like the group delay being added by it. There’s a lot of stuff that can change the sound besides the absence of XLR’s imperfections… not to mention if you were running the XLR into a big live sound board depending on how the inputs for that were set up.

The system at work is a short run into an AMX processor and in turn directly into powered speakers for the dancefloor, flown at around 25ft high. The rest of the ceiling speakers pick up from Crown amps (x3) that supply the lower volume areas.

The club is on a cruise ship so is maintained well and woek is done professionally from shore-side teams when things need doing. We’re getting a total refit in just under a year.

The DJM-850 goes direct into the house so I pulled the XLRs out of that and popped them into the back of the P4. It lasted a night as I couldn’t switch back once I started but once I finiahed I never went back. It was hollow and lacked a lot of range. I won’t give up though and will persevere until I find out why it sounded flat.

Cruise ship… fun. You might want to try going XLR to TRS and pipe it into the return on the DJM, then put effects on Send/Return and all the way to furthest wet. No effect activated, of course. That will let you try the balanced out one night also into the DJM and see if it’s worse noticeably than RCA into it. I mean, RCA is as good or better always except for the minor aspect of TDR, but it might not be a big enough difference for you to tell in that environment. Also, the next time you go into the DJM using the RCAs, make sure the tone controls are switched to EQ instead of iso… and keep the tone controls at 12 o’clock.

1 Like

Thanks @Reticuli

I’ll give all this a go. It’s a good idea to tun in via TRS. I never thought of that before and it’s quite obvious when you think about it. I’ll compare and see how it all sounds. I could get a good A > B comparison with that. I usually keep a nice neutral sound so will make sure they are all out of ISO mode.

Please can you report back on your testing? I am interested to see the results.

Good comparison. We’re talking about the high-end peaks of the Christmas tree. Would you leave those lights off?

:joy::joy::joy:

Nice holidays gentlemen!

1 Like

But there’s no reason for someone to keep trash talking the entire ensemble for one bulb, when everyone else is thoroughly enjoying it.

I play to my ears and other human ears - it sounds fine, even on a really good sound system, or an average club or venue sound system.

Even here in Aus, we’re stuffed to the max hearing about English Brexit - some people still link Aus to our GB roots - and I’m feeling the same what about these repetitive me and my test rig can hear things ears can’t - ears can’t hear it? Then it’s fine and those married to test gear should stop trying to play God over the rest of us with this socially blind continuance of nah nah nana I know more than you mentality.

I know, but you can hear the difference to bit-perfect digital sound. Its not only measurable.

Only problem I have, is people waving it away as non-existent. That’s like saying “the bpm algorithm is perfect”.

It’s way better than before after the firmware update, so indeed let’s focus on other urgent matters and keep this one for a later stage.

(P.s. Brexit should happen without any EU deal. Boris is probably not the person to make that happen. No deal Nexit (NL) would be better also)

2 Likes

But not to any point where it’s an issue. No one running up to me while I dj complaining of anything, no black eyes, no refund demands - and lets be solidly fair to denon that first improvement they made to the high end of the freq was really really good. If they didn’t make any more changes to sound - it’s already got excellent sound, as others have said.

Like I said: I know! Not to mention the DJ’s who play MP3’s or even worse, YouTube rips… People, your audience, really don’t care what you do. They even don’t care if you mix or play tracks wrong. That’s not the point of this topic.

And no, audio is not excellent. An RME or Antelope interface is excellent. It’s fine but could still be better…later.

And others have said it doesn’t, and backed it up by hard evidence.

If that’s your opinion on this topic, then why are you posting in this thread? If audio processing quality is improved, does it adversely affect your enjoyment of the gear or your use of it? Exactly what are posts like yours and Jetsound’s accomplishing?

You really really need to start differentiating between mountains and mole hills. Even better audio than what’s there already? That’s the molehill.

BPM detection algorithms and beat grid functions that fell out of the 80s - that’s everybodies mountain right now.

And yes what other people have said too. Youre a repair guy, understood. If something is supposed to put out 19.1 volts then you’re not happy if it’s putting out 19.09 or 19.11 volts.

But you can and do come across as the 8 year old school kid who scored the winning goal but then reminds everybody you can about it, at every opportunity until finally at university someone bloodies your nose about it, coz they’ve just simply had enough of hearing about the same thing over and over again

You and Jetsound need to start differentiating between threads you have any reasonable right to be participating in constructively and those you don’t. You also need to learn how to read and report data and real evidence vs opinion and subjective claims.

But it’s more people than just me and jetsound that are moaning about your incessant postings of the trivial

True… it’s you two, LargoS, S_Anderson, Stedwards, and one or two others that have repeatedly been trolling threads that don’t affect you, harassing people, and inappropriately mass-flagging posts. Long trend of that. All of this little clique of ne’er-do-wells have the same curious habits and never produce any evidence to back up any of their claims and disparaging posts. At least two of you have accused me of posting under multiple identities without any proof… pretty consistent with how you back up the rest of what you say on this forum, not to mention ironic considering how several of you parrot each other and do similar stuff like posting the same pics about .000001 percent and such.

1 Like