Any plans to improve the sound quality?

And others have said it doesn’t, and backed it up by hard evidence.

If that’s your opinion on this topic, then why are you posting in this thread? If audio processing quality is improved, does it adversely affect your enjoyment of the gear or your use of it? Exactly what are posts like yours and Jetsound’s accomplishing?

You really really need to start differentiating between mountains and mole hills. Even better audio than what’s there already? That’s the molehill.

BPM detection algorithms and beat grid functions that fell out of the 80s - that’s everybodies mountain right now.

And yes what other people have said too. Youre a repair guy, understood. If something is supposed to put out 19.1 volts then you’re not happy if it’s putting out 19.09 or 19.11 volts.

But you can and do come across as the 8 year old school kid who scored the winning goal but then reminds everybody you can about it, at every opportunity until finally at university someone bloodies your nose about it, coz they’ve just simply had enough of hearing about the same thing over and over again

You and Jetsound need to start differentiating between threads you have any reasonable right to be participating in constructively and those you don’t. You also need to learn how to read and report data and real evidence vs opinion and subjective claims.

But it’s more people than just me and jetsound that are moaning about your incessant postings of the trivial

True… it’s you two, LargoS, S_Anderson, Stedwards, and one or two others that have repeatedly been trolling threads that don’t affect you, harassing people, and inappropriately mass-flagging posts. Long trend of that. All of this little clique of ne’er-do-wells have the same curious habits and never produce any evidence to back up any of their claims and disparaging posts. At least two of you have accused me of posting under multiple identities without any proof… pretty consistent with how you back up the rest of what you say on this forum, not to mention ironic considering how several of you parrot each other and do similar stuff like posting the same pics about .000001 percent and such.

1 Like

Sooner or later your paranoia will end up naming almost every forum member:

Here are some other members who have had enough of your constant dissing of what they’ve spent their money on:

The comment above about you being asked about the weather and bending the answer into a way of talking about one of your test rig “discoveries” is 100% on the money baby, and is like the schoolkid story earlier l, bragging about how x years ago he scored that winning goal, ad infinity, every day for years after.

As for you saying what threads people are, or are not entitled to post on:

, you’re way out of order there. Last time I checked, your Avtar isn’t showing any moderator or staff badge.

1 Like

That sums its up nicely - thanks

1 Like

A few of the others you are quoting actually disagreed in a polite manner, which you and some of those others have not been doing… not to mention the outright trolling and spam.

I’m not out of line, even a little here. You’ve already berated me multiple times here for posting on a thread the OP actually specifically asked about this topic of sound quality. What’s your purpose on this thread again?

thats it @kradcliffe … same what i talk about here above on the thread…

At Denon: please make a sense answer to this thread before anything will happen here,… so hows looks like here …

I think a company of the greatness where the brand names “Denon” shouldnt be a problem to do a -Professional, Sense, Competent and humanfull OPINION- here … or?? yes… i think so…

so come on and thanks…

and all others: please be correctfull to any other here, i know everyone just will be best for a equipment, who dont? but isnt it overall the self problems… cars, tvs, bikes, at work, and and and… whatever… let now make Denon the next step - thanks

VOID systems are amazing - they are very popular here in Birmingham, UK - both in the underground scene and mainstream.

I’ve never heard a void system that’s sounded bad, compare that to a lot of Funktion one systems which tend to be very harsh at the high end and the void ones are in a class of their own.

2 Likes

Void are great, but any system can sound poor if the engineer doesn’t know what he’s doing. Similarly, I’ve heard mid-range systems sound incredible because of the engineer

I was a bit anxious about what mixer to take to the gig actually because of the chatter about “sound quality”. I was worried the VOID was going to be reveal any deficiencies if there were.

I b2b the X1800 and S9 at home but that’s just on a active top.

Eventually went with the 1800 and the 5000M.

I played from Serato and USB during the night.

Nothing major to report in my own subjective experience of the sound.

I swapped back to this because I wasn’t happy with the sound of the prime system.

I hope there will be more improvements to sound quality and if Reticuli wants to be the defacto poster boy for this so be it.

There not much about my prime gear that I can complain about and neither anybody else who played with it. I never heard anyone complain about the sound when play.

It’s amazing to see the arguments in this thread so far.

1 Like

If I can give my five cent to this topic… I have bought as well the 5000m/x1800 deal. Coming from Traktor and vinyl. I have now two mixer a master sound radius rotary mixer and the x1800. And honestly I am happy with both mixer and happy to have the choice. One fully Analogue and warm one a beast and digital. I don’t understand the complains here. Sound is something completely subjective. And I was also a bit scared about the Denon x1800 digital sound… I personally think you can’t compare the Denon x1800 sound with other brands like pioneer or ecler. Denon got here their own signature sound. Another post in this forum describes as beauty and muddy and about this I agree.

Sound can stay at it is. I hope that Denon will be focus more on software prime as well on the player … library management. I would love to see somehow also on the M player a possibility to show the track artwork.

2 Likes

I applaud you. All three points which I agree with so much. As for point 2, if there’s a way that Denon can make any final microscopic improvements to the sound, without pulling too much resource or time from far more important matters, then I wouldn’t say no. But humanly speaking, the sound, as you say, is fine and can stay as it is.

Muddy is certainly not desirable for professional DJ gear.

This is all totally subjective as always but as much as I love my Prime 4, I really dont think the sound should stay as it is. This also goes for any audio unit from any audio brand. Constant improvement should always push the best sonically from the unit and improve features because this is the units basic function. To provide professional audio to people dancing. Getting the basics right is fundamental and sound is the bare minimum thing we should (mostly) agree on. I visit many forums from different manufacturers and the market leaders rarely debate sound like we do here This says to me that there is an issue somewhere.

As said above, each person will see the sound as subjective and this is only my own personal opinion. On an A > B comparison the sound isn’t at £1.5k. I have a controller I just can’t use on XLR output due to how lifeless it sounds, yet on the RCA out it’s not bad at all.

A few DJs often state that the people on the dancefloor don’t notice sound but any gear is purchased for how fun and enjoyable it is for the DJ to use. I work for four to five hours a night, seven nights a week for five months with my DJ gear and it has to sound right to my own ears and not create fatigue. Drop this P4 on RCA out and I can go all night with it… but that’s a workaround. I shouldn’t have to run it into a second mixer when it has it’s own balanced outputs on it.

At the end of the day there is no right or wrong answer. The sound is pretty much perfect for some users yet muddy or harsh to others but our individual circumstances have a big role to play here. Some users are club DJs, some are mobile DJs and some are bedroom DJs. Some bedroom DJs will have never heard their gear played on a finely tuned club system, only through a pair of KRK monitors or a Hi-Fi (possibly by the RCA out). Some mobile or wedding DJs will have only have ever heard their gear plugged into their powered JBL or Mackie sound systems. Some DJs will have used them in a club with various other bits of pro kit in the booth. This is where an A > B comparison can easily be made and this (I feel) is when the sound characteristics can be exposed.

What is flat with no dynamic range to some is nice and warm to others.

It sounds very great already, but if it can be shined even more then I would welcome the firmware.

What is also good about with your post above is that you have said why you wanted to say, once, and just that once. You are not singing how clever you are to use test equipments and see this problem that no-one else can, five times every days lol

1 Like

I know on the older denon models they use something called “audio curve”. This was made known till after the introduction of timecode cds where a firmware update had to be made to switch it off. Maybe that’s why people back then said denon sounded better than pioneer.

Maybe the audio will never be bit transparent. It doesn’t mean it will sound bad and maybe just by removing the audio artifacts that Reticuli presented should be enough to please everyone.

Sorry for the delay in responding here. As you can imagine we are very busy as we ramp up our preparations for NAMM 2020.

To confirm, we’re always focused on improving and evolving our products. In fact, earlier this year, we made changes that significantly improved the high end frequency response of our SC5000 players. This change was a direct response to the feedback of our community and we were very happy to deliver this improvement.

Currently our engineers and developers are working on more pressing updates and innovations but if the community feels strong enough about the sound quality, we could potentially revisit to see if we can further improve. We regularly review the Feature Request area and consider the most popular requests when planning our firmware/software updates.

If you believe the sound quality needs to be further improved, please visit and vote for the link below. Opening numerous posts and discussing the subject in various areas of the forum won’t help support the argument as much as simply upvoting the original post of the feature request below.

https://community.enginedj.com/t/improve-audio-processing-quality/14092

Thanks again for all of your continued support and feedback!

6 Likes