After update to 1.6.0 Prime4 ENGINE will hang on ENGINE OS screen and not boot completely

Good day, I wanted to share an issue I am having and can not personally find a resolve nor can I find one related in the Community. I have a Prime4 which was running with Firmware 1.5.2 fine. I updated the firmware to 1.6.0 and now am having a major challenge. Here is some history on my situation. Updated from Firmware 1.5.2 to 1.6.0 via USB. After install, system rebooted itself and all LOOED to be ok. I shut down the Prime4 and removed the USB key. I started the Prime4 back up and it went to first the Engine OS screen with the firmware version 1.6.0 in the bottom right corner of the screen. The screen then flashed and then ONLY the ENGINE OS text remained on the screen and this is where I am at. It does not get past this point. The center of each platter fade up and down slowly between blue and white as do the FX (1, 2) buttons. I have tried pulling the power cord. I have tried multiple usb inputs with the usb drive. All have failed. On about the 4th power cycle, it finally started to a normal console screen and things I have tested have worked. I powered it off and waited a few minutes and started once again and it started ok. VERY WEIRD. So, a few things I am looking for. First, has anyone had similar experiences? Next, I went back to the DENON download site to look for Firmware V. 1.5.2 and is says unavailable…What is up with that? Would anyone have an archived copy of the USB an MAC install files of Prime 4 ENGINE firmware they could share? I have a gig next Saturday, March 06 and of course this makes me a bit uneasy.

None the less, I will be doing tests and such all week. Thanks everyone for you time and hope everyone makes headway on their challenges. Be well, Ethan Allen

1 Like

enter your email address and I’ll send it to you

Thanks MarioDjs. please send to: ethanallen@shiva-soundsystem.com

I also heard from another pal who had the same challenge, but we were communicating outside of the Community. He said he had a similar experience and had to not use the USB firmware update method and had to use the “MAC” computer update firmware method. Installing the update via his computer seem to work so far he has reported. I will give that a go and keep everyone informed of my progress or lack of progress, but appreciate you sending along the 1.5.2 FW version. I will definitely keep the 1.5.2 if everything happens to burst into a big ball of flaming poo. Once again, Thanks and be well. EA

I wish you fruitful tests and I hope I could be of help. :grinning: :grinning:

Hi I have the same problem thing i do to make it work is take power completely of the prime 4 and put a thumb drive in port 2 on top is looking for something and the thumb drive makes it think it found it, my destroy my internal drive I had to re format and reload all my music I will link a video to show how my acts maybe someone can help us.

1 Like

Sunday, Feb. 28 – 7pm PST. UPDATE on this. First off – Thanks to MarioDjs for the Firmware v. 1.5.2 (Mac version) It helped me do more trial and error. So here is where I am at.

I was able to get the Prime4 booted up. I was sent the Mac Computer version of Firmware v. 1.5.2 which I was able to install to the Prime4 and it installed and worked solid. No challenges. I was able to start and restart multiple times Prime4 with no delays, reboots, etc. every time it started properly with firmware v. 1.5.2.

So, this time I DID NOT use the USB drive method of updating when attempting to go to firmware v. 1.6.0. I used the computer method. I put the Prime4 in to “Update” mode and started the process. The loading of the update went fine from computer to Prime4. Then the Prime4 went through its update process. Everything seemed to be fine. It restarted and once again, it hung on the second splash “ENGINE OS” screen and made no progress after 5 minutes. I decided to power cycle with the power button. I did so and same result. My next step was to pull the power cable, which I did – same result after attempting to power on after that. I power cycled the unit 2 more times with the power button and on the 2nd time, the Prime4 powered up. Mixed feelings at this point……. So, played a few songs and poked through some settings and it seemed fine. I powered down, waited 5 minutes and tried to power up again….SAME RESULT> Hung on the “ENGINE OS” screen. What is going on??!! So, I recycled the power a few times with the power button and it finally powered on after the 3rd cycle. So, I am not quite sure what is causing this. I have spoken to multiple folks who have done this update with relative success. So, I am still open to hearing anyone else having a parallel experience to the one I am having and if any positive resolve has been found.

Monday, March 01 2:20 PM – PST Update addition. Another interesting I wanted to mention…. It seems to take the Prime4 3 or 4 Power up attempts to start correctly. Don’t know if this will narrow down the process of elimination, but it is something I noticed. I am going to try and carefully watch the sequence/cycles of the board illuminating when it tries to start up and fail and when it actually starts successfully to see if there are any small differences in that and any screen glitches between a successful start and a failed start. Thanks Community looking forward to your feedback and suggestions. EA PS: DENON TECH FOLKS, FEEL FREE TOJUMP IN ANY TIME…It would be greatly appreciated. EA

I have also expierenced this issue on my Prime 4 since the 1.6.0 firmware update. These events took place from about 4 days ago to today. During past updates, I have not had issues and was also busy so I did not record my steps or take notes as this all played out. So, this description is only to the best of my memory.

When installing this update, the controller was plugged into my laptop with Windows 10 via USB cable. Also, I have 1TB internal HD, so had no USB drives plugged in during or after upgrade. On my first reboot, everything went well and I had no issues so I added some new music to the HDD for gig later that evening. Performed 1 live set without issue, however, when booting up the next day, the controller seemed to be stuck exactly as you described;

I had to power off the unit by holding the power button because, after 30 minutes, it did not fully boot. On powering up on the 2nd attempt, it started in what appeared to be the normal time. For next 2 or 3 days, the Prime 4 was powered on and off a few times as I explored the new features of the 1.6.0 firmware update. I did activate the Dropbox feature and uploaded some music to the cloud to see what that was all about without any problems. However, on next reboot, it would not fully load again. I had to do the hard power off by holding the power button. On booting up the next try, it seemed to get stuck but I decided to wait instead of powering off. After 30 minutes, nothing. After about an hour (which is completely unacceptable) I came back to check on the device and I saw a message on the screen reading something along the lines of, “Error. No playlists or crates found on Dropbox.” Again, I was not expecting this behavior, so I did not write down the error message or take a pictures of the error message, but I will moving forward. Afterwards, it did proceed to asking me which profile to load and I was able to play music on the Prime 4. That was last night…

However, and this is the more unnerving part… today, when I went to power up the Prime 4, I have been stuck on the same Engine OS boot screen as the displays on decks 1 & 2 fade between blue and white. I have tried to let it do whatever it needs to do and tried to resist my urge to power off the unit. I have waited 30 mins, an hour, and now have resorted to holding the power button to reset. Still, NOTHING. After 6 attempts, I began to write this message. Now, at the conclusion of typing, I have tried about 10 times total and the Prime 4 will not fully load.

WHAT DO I DO HERE?? I do not want to damage my controller by repeatedly powering off and on, but I am at a loss as to how I would even go back to the 1.5.2 firmware since I can not get it to power up.

PLEASE ADVISE ASAP.

hi guys, can anyone provide the 1.5.2 firmware please, not digging 1.6 :frowning:

Same problem happens to me on 1.6. Every time I boot, first time hangs. Then after pulling the power plug, it boots normally.

First of all, I am glad I am not the only one having this challenge. Not to wish bad things on anyone, but just to know it is not me! Next, to this date - March 11, 2021 - I have not been able to resolve the issue. I had 2 shows 4 days apart, so I went back to version 1.5.2 - which I do have the MAC 1.5.2 software if you need. Just let me know. Sorry, I do not have the Windows version…Also, Denon, why did you make the 1.5.2 software no longer available to download from the DL site? Good grief. So, I have 2.5 weeks until I have another show and will try and do some video capture and deep research with this. I play with a guy who updated his Prime4 and it went OK. Trying to figure this out, different EPROM chip…what could it be?? Sorry I don’t have any useful info yet. So, if anyone needs the MAC v. 1.5.2 Engine OS, let me know and I will set up a share drive. Good luck all. EA

Hi there, I’m Desperately trying to find the 1.5.2 firmware , the 1.6 is causing me so many problems. thanks in advance

unplug any USB drives and it will boot, had this problem before a stream last week

unplug any usb drives plugged in and try to boot. this worked for me with the same issue

I have the Mac firmware v. 1.5.2. Are you good for now? EA [UPDATE] every attempt I have tried has been without any drives with the exception of the internal SSD drive I initially installed when I first purchased the unit.

Hi @Appozone,

Sent me your email address and will send it.

All sorted now, many thanks

I had a problem just like this back when the Prime 4 got its first beta update. I too only had an internal ssd plugged in. It was suggested to do the the update with the ssd disconnected. Surprisingly, that worked for me. Perhaps give that a go if you haven’t already. If I missed somewhere in the thread someone recommending and or doing this already, I apologize.

I have not tried that yet @DJVERACIOUSK but will give it a go. it has not been previously discussed. If that is really the challenge, then I think Denon needs either sort this out or UPDATE their firmware update instructions to save folks a ton of time and grief. I will have to try that method after this Wednesday, since I have a Stream then and don’t want to go breaking everything down to pull the SSD before then. Thanks and I will keep you posted.

I cannot even get the Prime 4 to complete the update to 1.6.

All, I have a Stream Gig on Wednesday, but will be getting to my “Update Adventure” Friday and post what I find out. Next update attempt: Pulling my SSD drive out of the P4 and attempting to update via Computer first and if that is a fail, USB Stick Update. I will post my results. Hang in there @DJGDaddy and everyone else… EA