Using APFS formatted external SSD with Engine Prime as collection storage drive

• 4TB external SSD
  • Thunderbolt 2/3 connection
  • Macbook Pro 2017 (500gb internal SSD)

I just converted my external ssd to APFS. I was having issues with exFAT. eg accidental disconnect leading to slow mounting next time on my mac. The SSD was HFS before Engine Prime and i had converted to exFAT for compatibility reasons.

This drive is not intended for use with any Denon DJ Prime gear nor Pioneer DJ CDJs. I have a smaller SSD for that purpose.

• Engine prime reads it normally and Serato DJ is good to go as well.
  • It’s quicker to load and do the usual library refresh.
  • Think there is less file checking in Engine Prime as well…you know when you click on a different collection crate and its checking files like a maniac

With my own workflow i did not see any benefit of sticking with exFAT as i use Macs exclusively for djing.

Just sharing

2021 Update

Since the release of 2.0, Engine DJ now shows an incompatible drive error when APFS/HFS formatted drives are connected

This happens if said drive is connected via USB

Workaround (expensive) - use a thunderbolt drive as it bypasses the USB bus (Engine treats it like an internal drive)

1 Like

Running on Engine DJ on MacOS Ventura. Aware that Denon hasn’t completed their EngineDJ compatibility testing on Ventura but it looks like external APFS-formatted drives are working despite EngineDJ complaining that the drive is incompatible. I am able to play tracks normally just like any other drive.

1 Like

You know, there is no better time than now for Denon to finally address this. The functionality was taken away, and appears to be working again despite Engine DJ popping up warnings to the contrary. Please, Y’all, make it a priority!!

1 Like