Add track from mapped network drive to collection

• Software or Firmware Version: (1.2, 1.3.1, etc…) Engine DJ 2.0.2.29

• Steps to Reproduce: (Turn on unit, press button X, etc…)

• Map a network drive
      • net use Z: \diskstation\music mypwd /user:myuser /savecred
      • net use persistent:yes
    • Open Engine DJ
    • Go to Files, Z:
    • Play a track by double clicking (works as expected)
    • Right click, Add tracks to Collection
  • Expected Result: (ex: It does X…) Track is added to collection

• Actual Result: (ex: It does Y…) Nothing happens, no feedback at all

• Reproducibility: (ex: Happens 1 out of 10 times.) Happens all the time

Log file mentions:

[W] Librarian::getOrCreateDatabaseForDatabaseRootPath(const boost::filesystem::path& pathOfDatabase) > unable to find    [2021-11-22T21:03:24.782Z] [air.planck.librarian    ]
[W]  device for path: Z:                                                                                                 [2021-11-22T21:03:24.782Z] [air.planck.librarian    ]
[W] Failed to import tracks!                                                                                             [2021-11-22T21:03:24.783Z] [air.planck.librarian    ]
[W] void __cdecl ImportTracksJob::run(class QSharedPointer<class ThreadWeaver::JobInterface>) Unable to move track to    [2021-11-22T21:03:24.784Z] [air.planck.database     ]
[W]  database - universal id: 1359  errorCode: 50                                                                        [2021-11-22T21:03:24.784Z] [air.planck.database     ]
  • Other Relevant Configuration Info: (ex: Plugged into a Windows 10 laptop.)

• Operating System & Version (if applicable): Windows 10 20H2 (Build 19042.1348)

3 Likes

Changed topic to normal as this is no bug, it is simply not possible yet.

See and vote here:

The ability to access/read music files on a raid array or NAS - Feature Requests / New/Open Requests - Official Denon DJ Forum

And another method here:

Console internal HDD sharing in the local network (LAN or WIFI) - Engine DJ (OS) - Feature Requests / New/Open Requests - Official Denon DJ Forum

I think iSCSI could work. As long as Engine thinks it’s a “local” drive.

1 Like

I don’t fully agree it’s not a bug

• I can play the track just fine
  • The ‘Add track to library’ option is there
  • There is no error message

Thanks for the links. I voted on the first, I don’t really have a need for the second.

I’ll see if I can get iSCSI to work.

1 Like

Network drives are still officially unsupported, mapped or otherwise.

Fair enough, and I don’t want to keep flogging the dead horse, but I do want to make sure it comes across how frustrating the first hour after a 1500$ purchase was.

• Been a Pioneer user for years
  • Got convinced by reviews Denon DJ was the way forward
  • Made sure Rekordbox library could be moved over
  • Sell Pioneer players and buy SC6000
  • Install Engine DJ and import Rekordbox library
  • Only 1% is imported without any errors or warning
  • A lot of digging around, for instance trying to find the log files, turns out my scenario does not work

There’s workarounds of course, but I still have to recreate my playlists. I don’t really have that much cues or loops to move over, so it’s not that huge of a problem, but still…

1 Like

Yeah smooth transition isn’t always the case. I simply started with a new collection. My Traktor database wasn’t great either in 2016, so an easy choice to make.

There are several members on the forum with past and present Pioneer experience, so perhaps they can chime in on some questions.

For future reference, if anyone cares :wink:, I ended up doing the following

• Create iSCSI drive on my NAS
    • This keeps the advantage of having my music in a central, backed up location
    • No concurrent access from multiple devices though, so my Plex server no longer has access to the music
    • Not for the faint of heart, but definitely doable
  • Copy music from the SMB folder to the iSCSI drive
  • Edit the rekordbox collection XML, replacing ‘/Z:/’ with ‘/D:/’ to refer to the iSCSI drive
  • Reimport the Rekordbox collection

Not ideal for me, but I rarely access my music collection anymore these days, so good enough. And as long as I have enough space on my NAS, I’ll keep my collection duplicated there between the SMB folder and the iSCSI drive anyway, probably.

2 Likes

It’s not ideal indeed, but with a little bit of IT we can circumvent the system. :sunglasses:

Please take a look into the Featrue request page about NAS support for EP. There are more than on request, but we need to bundle the request with many like, so that the Development-Team take attention of it as higher priority: https://community.enginedj.com/t/ep-to-access-nas-cloud-network-locations/13791 please set a like on it. All other users will thank you for it :slight_smile:

I managed to get it to work on a Windows PC (windows 10) by using a symbolic link (e.g. you attach the NAS drive to a folder on the local machine).

Run a cmd prompt (right click and run as system administrator). mklink /D C:\NAS \192.168.0.20\NASfiles

Then you should be able to drag-drop via the C:\NAS folder

1 Like

Absolutely ridiculous.

Thanks for the workaround.