Ableton Link to computer

I feel like a dummy right now what am I missing. I’m trying to link my SC6000s to Ableton via link. They are on same network, link is active on all devices. But beat grid data is not getting transferred to the computer. I’m using the X1850 as a sound card ASIO with Ableton playing through channel 1. Players are hooked up to channel 2 and 3. Players read only 1 linked device I assume it should say 2 if things worked properly. Is there a walk through somewhere how to do this. I search and came up empty.

Have you pressed the sync button on the SC6000?

Yes. I’ve followed all directions I’ve found

As far as I know ableton link is only transferring bpm info and the first beat.

If you change bpm , do you see the change on the computer?

No nothing happens. Ableton stays at the default 120bpm. My link button is in lit up orange on program

I fixed it kinda… lol So I plugged PC into router and it works, 6000 is on wifi. Something was blocking the PC when on wifi so it’s not 100% fixed because I don’t know what was blocking it when on the wifi… wth

If this is a windows pc then check the firewall settings on the wifi connection, determine what network level security is applied to the wifi connection. They can differ between network connections on the same pc/laptop. This used to be called home, work or public in the older versions of windows, can’t remember what they call them now.

If your wifi device does extra routing or NAT, I’m sure multicast won’t pass through it.

Is wifi and LAN exactly the same network?

My other wifi devices don’t see the 6000s either they see Ableton now that is on the LAN. So I’m leaning more towards possible router setting. From what I understand I don’t need a PC to see these other devices and I can not. So with the PC on lan in will show 3 on the link status and on the 6000s it shows 2

Not sure what you me by same network, but they are in same IP range. But I’m with you on it’s a router issue

Is the router with the ethernet ports the same device that sends out wifi signals?

Or do you have a router and a separate device for wifi (access-point)?

PC does have a static address not sure if that is causing anything… I’ll have to test that later when home.

Where was the PC connected to before you connected it to the router?

Same device bud

It was connected to same wifi network as the players and also my iPad. Which it didn’t see the iPad either until I hooked it up to a LAN connection. Keep in mind the players won’t see the iPad

Ah yes, you wrote earlier the PC was on wifi as well… Looks like multicast isn’t working very well on wifi. Somekind of wifi isolation active maybe?

On managed switches (corporate mostly), multicast is blocked by default so Engine info, Sonos stuff etc. won’t work unless allowed/enabled. Haven’t seen this on home wifi often. Sometimes devices on 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz don’t see each other, but other than that it is mostly device isolation.

I logged into Xfinity Modem/Router and under connected devices there is a box that was checked named Prefer Private Connection. I unchecked that and the player now sees ipad but does not see Ableton on a wifi connection. Getting closer lol

I disabled wifi on PC and then enabled again that fixed it. Something was hung up after that switch in the router I think… all working on wifi. Thanks for the help

1 Like

Great, that sounded like device isolation indeed. Glad you got it working! Within an our after my first question. LOL.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.