12” motorized controller

Old school yeah, but “most” modern scratch DJ’s who convert from real vinyl turntables to controllers which essentially is what this would be all use scratch/sample banks or a spare channel.

Which is why I said/thought this would be more likely a Rane concept than Denon for InMusic as far as finding a market for such a concept.

Crimson is right. The Z2 made having a 3rd and 4th channel on a scratch mixer an option. Modern Battle Mixers have made it the standard.

Personally I would love to see a Rane 74.

I would also like to see a single deck version of the Rane One (modernized Numark V2).

Would also love to see the ability to control the Denon Primes using a Rane 12, unless we get a motorized version of the LC6000 soon.

Of course, if we do get a motorized version of the sc6000, I will def be modding a Jesse dean tone arm onto it out of pure nerdom.

1 Like

I was not talking about a all in one unit. Like @mufasa said, this mixer could be more a Rane 72 prime in a 4 ch mixer body size (djm 900 or even the bigger djm 2000) No need for performance pads since the players beside already have some, thus it will save space for a larger screen.

OK, i assumed you meant one with 12" platters, being this is the thread topic.

So basically you want a x1850 with a small waveform screen?

Yep ! A X1850 with a vertical waveform screen or a prime GO/2/4 without the jog section and a foldable horizontal screen :blush:

Even a brain new Prime GO “PRO” with 2 x usb inputs + 2 x RCA inputs would be awesome !

Thought about this form as well.

• Basically a hybrid Super GO combined with the Rane 12 or any LC/SC unit (at home). Brownie points for Phase HID support (folks can use their old turntables and whatever size of vinyl they feel comfy with - its become tiring reading …ha if only they released the - insert number - inch motorized version)

• The same Hybrid Super Go alone at gigs

1 Like

A club standard mixer with a built-in folding screen at the top running Engine Prime O/S would be interesting.

1 Like

Yes but something sexier than this :sweat_smile:

1 Like

So finally I have a moment, to mock up something. Your picture does not show the real proportions (no stress here, just that I noticed), I did put Rane 12 and sc6000 side by side and this is what You would get when holding to the same buttons and screen size but blowing up the platter to 10” on that deck.

10” platter is taking so much space that it is hard to fit all other things on the deck while holding on to the same form factor. That is original 32cm width of the SC6000. I took the real measurements of both decks (12 and 6000) in to account. Also precisely scaled them next to each other. 10” platter is only 16% smaller than 12”, so I went for that to fit all other SC6000 buttons and knobs around it. So far holding to real dimensions and logic alignment - this is what I got. Not finished yet, but managed to make it during my morning coffee today.

2 Likes

Looks good, but I imagined it being more orientated on a 90-degree angle for battle mode with the pads and loop moved out of the way of the front, as the area is best left free for scratching.

I know the original mock up was for a SC6000M with a larger platter, but I don’t see a reason for that unless trying to appeal to scratch DJ’s and as nice as it looks I’d have big questions and queries on if such a concept could be taken serious for scratch DJ “as-is” of course you may just be a techno mixer that loves a larger platter or a very casual scratcher but still … :thinking:

I’d be forever knocking or worried about knocking the loop encoder and or the beat loop buttons …

Loop encoder is so low and so far away, that I can’t accidentally knock it even on SC5000M, and I scratch a lot.

Not if turned on the side for battle mode like I was saying …

Same with beat loop and search “either orientation”.

We turn Turntables to battle mode when performing routines due to the location of the tone arm and having an even spacing between platter and crossfader. The Rane 12 mk2 was designed with recessed connectors due to complaints from the community that lack of tonearm means we don’t need the pitch fader sideways anymore.

So, there’s no need to out your players in the battle position. :wink:

OK, but let’s look at the original design.

They already turned the player to battle degree and thought about moving those beat loop / search encoder buttons out the way. Which imo is the right thing to do. I’d even argue the hot cues want putting up top too and not the bottom, but that’s debatable. :wink:

I’d keep as the original, but put the hot cues up top of the platter and the pitch back to the right side. Keep that bottom and left bottom side free from buttons or turn the whole deck right 90 degrees and move the screen to the left side, so it sits up top.

Something like this works for me, but I’d move the strobe and cue/play buttons to the right bottom. Add a tone arm and call it the VL12 MK2 as well lol.

PS, I owned Rane Twelve’s for over a year when where released, but eventually got rid as I was one of the many effected by serato drifting issues.

The angled (and essential) screen is going to be terrible in “battle” mode, and nothing that just having a “rotate characters 90/180/270 degrees” option would fix

1 Like

From ergonomics and real needs - this has completely no sense. Nothing is in the way of the platter. Unless You dj from under the table with you hands above the head to reach the platter… I also used turntables in battle mode, but placement of the pitch fader makes it harder for precise movement. Pitch fader in traditional media player position is more natural and comfortable to use with higher precision. Pads in front of the platter have more sense, as to reach them for fast hot cue play or slicing - you don’t want to hit the edge of the platter. Again - ergonomics and workflow comfort is always made for majority not minority. One person likes it, 1000 not. Then there is no sense in that. People are still bashing Pioneer for hot cue placement, making them hard to reach for tone play or hot cue play without hitting the jog wheel or accidentally pressing it. Not mentioning slicer on sc6000, that requires fast button presses to achieve cool effects.

I think as a turntable motor, 12 inch platter is best for the hot cue on the side or up top like on Rane Twelve imo

As a Jog-Wheel sized controller it can be OK down at the bottom, but personally I prefer up top again as I like to rest my hand/wrist at the bottom to nudge the wheel.

Both Denon and Reloop did it right by putting the hot cues below the platter. When you are performing, you want to keep your hands closest to platter, crossfader, and channel fader as possible. The less movement you do with your arms, the more precise and quick you can be.

1 Like

Perhaps, but most Rane users are using the performance pads on the mixer. Which is probably the preferred location.

But for jog-wheels I’m strongly in the hot cue up top camp as I cannot change resting my hand at the bottom it’s just second nature.

I don’t think the smaller sized pads on the SC players would cut it on a 12-inch platter, I’d want full sized performance pads to go with full sized platter.

It is like that, because most of the turntables don’t have pads…

I prefer pads on the RP8000 or any SC player than any other additional pads like sp1/2 or reloop neon end other pad addition controllers. They are close to the platter, I can do tone play, I can jump and slice, and still I can scratch.

Pads on the mixer are great, when You have no other choice.