X1800 Mixer Feature Requests

Having only an LCD monitor and not OLED or CRT to look at that video, it’s hard to make out what you’re talking about. I think I see some issues with the large block letters at the top, though, like differing intensity of block patterns within the letters. Is that what you are seeing? As for issues in the black areas, I don’t think the foot of my LCD’s contrast curve is good enough to reproduce that if there were any burn-in traces there.

Yup, you got it right. And to think a year ago X1700 owners were wondering if it’s worth to " upgrade" to X1800.

I’ll stick to X1700, I can live without the colored cue buttons and instant BPM detection. 60mm Alps K faders and all the other small quality differences more than make up for this inMusic product.

Maybe I can find someone to turn my X1800 into a rotary version. My X1700 faders are way too nice to do that to them, but on the X1800 would be welcome. I also really like the cue/mix side selection thing on them. Hoping they add an auto flip mode for that so I can keep resonance on the utility screen instead.

Viewing burn-in problems has nothing to do with your monitor type viewing it. The video is kinda bad.

Here is an example; I have it default at FLANGER but when selecting PINGPONG you still see flanger through it.

Photo shot with flashlight on:

1 Like

It potentially has a lot to do with my ability to see some types of burn-in through just videos over the web. I said I could faintly see exactly the sort of thing you’re showing here but if DJEric was also talking about issues in the blacks, my LCD monitor lacks the good contrast to relay those.

Well, it’s an OLED but nowhere near my LG 4K from 2017…

The burn-in is just visible as ghosting of the most used screen content.

1 Like

Cosmetic perhaps, but the level meters on the X1800 could be a bit less flashy/fast/nervous for my taste.

I would like to see a more broadcast mixer style or at least with a slower led decay. That way it would be easier on the eyes. Perhaps make it a selectable setting in Utility?!

Another cosmetic thing for me (and asked for it way back when), would be a DenonDJ blind panel for the crossfader. I don’t use it and it’s kinda in the way when mixing, so I want to take it out completely…

1 Like

In a DJ environment, the point of the meters is really to get you bouncing around the zero (troughs below, peaks just above about same distance) to have tracks’ average loudness about the same. If you do that right, you’ll never clip a mixer, anyway. In a multitrack studio or live miked environment all you really care about on the channels is keeping peaks down while sufficiently high to have good S/N ratio, and then you mix them together to the master at the desired volume using the faders wherever needed. Right now the zero dBVU seems closer to the clip/OL/0dBFS point than a lot of other DJ mixers with just how the LEDs, sizing, and scale is on the X1800 meters. Optional responsiveness of the meters might not be a bad idea if it’s currently not matching up with giving a good sense of RMS in the bounciness (too much or too little). The Tascam X-9, for instance, has at least two options for the meters: overall responsiveness and the peak hold.

Rotary kit for these would be nice. I was hoping for a Xone DB4-style knob swap mode, but I’m not sure that would work so well with the way these knobs are.

I don’t like the recessed split cue switch, but it’s a little late to change it now.

The choice they made to have one led from 0 to +3 is bad in every way thinkable, but the decay is way to fast for any sort off metering. Peak hold is fine, but add a decay to have some sense of loudness.

For a DJ mixer the levels are more or less accurate; or consistent if you will. Test signals at 0dB on a channel ends up having the master knob on its 0 marking. And it is then also around the 0 on my broadcast mixer.

A Pioneer’s +4 is in essence the “normal” 0, so that uses a different scaling.

That’s actually one the better features on the mixer, that 1db scale. Helps to see the dynamics of the music now that all of it is so compressed.

Below 0 it has an “okay” scale. Above 0 it makes too large a step. Master meter even goes from 0 to +6 in one led.

So I could be sending out +2 on the channel and even +5 on the master (but that would be seen on the channel meter) before the next led flashes.

Anyway, please let them add decay to make the meter viewing less nervous and more smooth.

Yes. There are only 3 LEDs between 0dBVU and 0dBFS clip (or limit if you turn the limiter on for your studio mixes), while the X1700 and the Pioneers have five LEDs between them. The MP2015 has 6 LEDs between them, and though on the Rane I believe +10 (the top yellow) actually should have been orange and people need to stay out of intentionally going into that LED because once you’re in it you have no way of knowing how far you are from clipping (the reason Pioneer made their +10 red as last-resort headroom), all of these except the X1800 work well if you just bounce symmetrically around the meter zero (OdBVU). You can do this on the X1800, it’s just a little more touchy, in my opinion.

If you bounce around the 0dBVU mark on mixed-down, bounced music, you will never go wrong on a DJ mixer. This is not mixing a live band on a Yamaha. Putting everything at exactly the same peak, though, is the wrong way to manage your levels with already-mastered “program content”, as they all have differing dynamics and different average loudness.

Giving the option of response for overall and peak hold might help some people with this a little.

Here’s a tip: Do yourselves a favor and also turn on the -10dB pad for the master and booth volume outs. That way you don’t have to worry about people putting them past unity.

The point on the Pioneers of having the master volume affect the headphones was actually for Urei-style mixing back when they offered rotary panels for the DJM800 & DJM1000, because old-school Urei heads run their channel volume rotaries at 7 as unity. So on Pioneers you have the option of either channel volume unity at 7 and master unity at max, or you put master at 2:15 o’clock and then channel unity becomes 10/max.

Different isn’t wrong though no

Sorry, can’t edit prior post to add this.

I’m not sure about that. The Pioneer DJM SPDIF out is -5dB down, but all these 0dBVUs on the meters should be about -18 to -20dBFS.

In a different application I’d say yes.

The X1800 has its 0dBVU spot oddly very high up in the LED ladder. 12 LEDs of meter resolution below 0dBVU and then 3 between there and clip on the channel meters, and, as Reese points out, only 2 LEDs between 0dBVU and clip on the master meter. This means there’s little metering resolution around and above 0dBVU. It would have been fine for a live sound board running miked instruments peaking intentionally (when the sound dude is babysitting it) only up to 0dBVU on the channel meters, with faders that have boost over their unity, and you run those faders at wherever is needed to mix the content for the audience or recording. It’s a little problematic on a DJ mixer like this where you’re always going to run the fader at max when the track is playing out by itself.

I’m not sure why they went with the coloring (color blindness mitigation?) or with this massive amount of metering resolution below 0dBVU (the green zone). Maybe they’ve got some idea that they’re going to either just have people bounce the music when in full swing within a 2 or 3 LED white zone quick-glance-like out of the corner of our eyes (I can’t argue with using ears more) or create some whole new DJing habit of bouncing only intentionally up to 0dBVU? If it’s the latter and they think every mastered track should peak at the same point on a DJ mixer, it’s way wrong in the reasoning, though. Why are the white LEDs beginning below 0dBVU on the master meter? It’s all a little weird and seems a bit for the wrong application. Oh well, we can’t change that now, but maybe the response options could help a little for some people.

In the meantime: Blue is for prostitutes and is truly the warmest color. Giggity.

That is great.

I would like to have a direct record option to USB stick / disk when sc5000s are connected.

1 Like

Not possible now, not likely in the near future. Just get a portable digital recorder.

1 Like

Lots of good ideas here…

I would give up Gate even though it’s printed/labeled on the mixer. Any new effect would be better than the gate IMO.

Do any of you guys actually use it when playing live?

1 Like

id really like to see some more eq options, something inbetween iso, and eq. possibly be able to manually adjust the value?