Tempo/Pitch Moving in different increments?

Hey Guys,

Forgive me if I’m missing something really obvious here. Both decks are marked at the +/-8 pitch increment, sync function is not on, both tracks have the exact same original BPM (130.00). When I move the pitch slider on Deck A it moves up in 0.5% increments, but on Deck B the same motion moves up in 0.2% increments.

I can’t seem to figure out why, or how to get them to move by the same increment on both decks?

Thanks!

Welcome. There’s a couple of things worth checking.

Firstly, check the firmware levels are both on the same (latest is 1.0.3).

Also check the pitch range is the same on each deck eg: +/- 8% or +- 16% etc.

1 Like

Different firmware. 1.0.3 has .05% increments, the older firmware had a higher resolution (up to .01%). I wish they’d at least go to .02%

1 Like

Seriously guys, 0,05 isn’t a high enough resolution? Wow. That’s like 0.06 bpm at 120 bpm.

Unless my calculus is failing me, that means that in 1 minute it will “run away” (well, more like crawl) less than 0.001 s or 1 ms

That, in my very humble opinion, is nothing. And that is with a 1-minute mix (120 bpm that means almost 30 bars or 4 phrases), which for most DJs is a LONG mix.

2 Likes

I’d say it totally depends on your personal style of mixing whether you need it or not.

Fact: Pioneer had that resolution for more than 10 years, I guess for a reason. Even Denon players had it at least since 2009. Why go back to a CDJ-800 level?

People have become accustomed to that level precision. If Denon wants to be seen as a true alternative for professionals, they should aim to have the same resolution, not 2,5x worse.

BTW: I’d say your calculations are wrong, it probably drifts off a lot more than 1ms after one minute.

2 Likes

I already opted to the devteam for a setting in utility to have the choice of pitch resolution.

To be on topic: your player with 0.02 increments is probably not at the 1.0.3 firmware.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, was a firmware mismatch!

Let’s say baseline is 120bpm (for calculation purposes). With a 0.05% deviation of this beat count, after one minute the track will have drifted + or - 0,06 beats. Assuming you are low on one deck and high on the other, the maximum would be 0,12 beats. As one beat takes 1/120th of a minute, which is 2 beats per second or 1 beat per 0,5 second. 0,12 times 0,5 equals 0.06 seconds or 6ms. If one deck is on track, then it would obviously be 3ms. Again, after a full minute.

You’ll say that 3ms is three times as much as 1 ms. True.

But the next best step is not 0.00 but 0.02. Difference to 0.05 % = 0.03 %. At 0.02% the difference would be + or - 0,048 (roughly 0,05). 0,048 times 0.5 = 2.88 ms. One deck on track that makes 1.44. Rounded up to 1.5ms. My quick and dirty of 1 ms wasn’t too far of the mark. While relatively still 1.5 times as much (almost), in absolute sense losing 0,48 millisecond a minute is still, as I suggested earlier, nothing,

After all, this is only relevant when manually beat-matching and only with (computer) tight tracks. Anything other than that will have beat drifts that are bigger than 0.05% anyway. And if you are using sync, the whole discussion is mute anyway as both tracks will stay in sync and move up/down in 0.05% increments together.

Granted, if it is technically possible, there is no real reason to not have the option (like the suggestion of having a utility setting). My point was more about the actual “hurt” of this change.

At the end of the day you have to do/use what works for you.

0.06s is 60ms, not 6ms.

But of course … I stand corrected.