SC5000 NOOB - Lets see what this is all about

So I am about to buy these bad boys! What should I know? What tips do you have? Is there a case on the market to house one SC5000 and a 10.5" battle mixer?

2 Likes

Hey!

My Camelot wheel is on a thread here about “what will you do with center screen” or something. If you can’t find it, I can PM you it over Facebook. Try switching layers when you first load drive preferences to get it to show up.

There’s an “M” model about to come out… I assume you know.

We originally had true 14-bit pitch fader resolution, but that’s (hopefully just temporarily) gone in the latest firmware, so the increments are currently more crude.

Speaking of firmware, you need I think Windows 8/10 or Mac to update the players, as Windows 7 won’t work with the firmware updater.

The processing inside the players unfortunately still has a compressor/limiter and a low-pass filter. Expect a dark, kinda processed sound.

Negative pitch is awesome with keylock, though.
We don’t yet have ability to change key incrementally, but hopefully that’s coming.

Zero pitch is not bit-perfect out the digital output, and keylock off is not maximally-minimal in its processing like on the Pioneers.

The non-M model platter rotation resistance is inconsistent from unit to unit on these, both at minimum resistance on the tension knob and higher. Some units basically add no additional resistance until about halfway on the tension knob, and might have inconsistent rotation as you go around.

Right now the SC5000 (non-M) forward jog bend is unfortunately twice the sensitivity/effect of the rearward and there is no settings adjustment for either direction, yet.

There is no bit depth or sample rate selection on the SPDIF setting, so to use them you must have a mixer that will accept 24/96 right now. So the PPD9000 you’re borrowing only connects in analog to them :frowning:

Unlike KUVO/Rekordbox, Engine is not a GDRP class action waiting to happen :slight_smile:

We can’t run Engine on a laptop and offload tracks, yet, over Ethernet.

The SC5000’s search function is a bit slow and clunky right now, but does work.

There is a size limit to the total amount of analysis files and database that can work on each drive. Fat32 is still best for these and NTFS support is still spotty. With your <10,000 track thumb drives with RB analysis on them, I think a conversion of each would work fine on each of them and probably run up against no limits.

Unlike my CDJ900s, folders on the SC5000 always seem to show most or all of the tracks inside, though their order is sometimes different from deck to deck.

Current and played track info currently does not totally & consistently link between the physical decks, aside from basic sync-related info.

The players and Engine have come a long way, but they still have some improvement to go and InMusic is listening. Yay!

2 Likes

Is it a compressor or a limiter? If either, what are the attack, release, input gain, and output gain differences in transient between original file and audio output. Is this applied to only analog or digital, or both?

Noone develops for Win7 anymore. It’s dead.

Why is Rekordbox a GDRP class action waiting to happen?

Heh heh… a limiter is a compressor. It’s a limiter, possibly after overall gain increase, but definitely in combination with the non-defeat-able Elastique processing that apparently increases the level of at least some of the high frequencies. The limiter affects both the analog and digital outs, and we don’t know much detail about it. The low-pass filter, which also affects both the digital and analog outs, apparently does not affect anything if you do like a huge volume decrease (normalize to something real low) the track WAY down. The units don’t seem to normalize everything on their own, at least. The units’ analog outs are slightly, occasionally susceptible to RF interference due to the capacitive touch screens interaction with stuff like mobile phones very close to it (like within a foot or two), so an overall gain increase of +3 or +6dB might have been implemented and then the limiter to increase the signal to noise ratio of the analog outputs, but that’s just a theory. At the very least currently, there’s a limiter and low-pass filter to compensate for the very aggressive Elastique processing that’s always on, the outputs are all REALLY hot, and we only have the equivalent bandwidth of a 32khz sampling frequency unit, not a 48 or 96khz unit, even though they will play 24/96 files.

I love Win 7!

Engine Prime doesn’t require an account to use, won’t upload your IP address, your name, your email, or your tracks’ names and meta tags when you install it, import your library, or subsequently use the software & players, and has no relationship at all with the PROs. I have it on good authority that InMusic is committed to their users’ privacy.

In regards to data privacy I think the correct accronym is GDPR.

2 Likes

The Rekordbox EULA is in compliance with GDPR guidelines.

I don’t see that you disproved what Reticuli tried to say with his post.

I think they are one person

Well. The first one came in today (ZZounds only had one in stock). Needless to say I’m in love already. Played around for about 2 hours jumping between a rekordbox drive, engine drive, and serato. No issues so far. Running firmware 1.2

We have both assimilated to the borg.

Do you have the 72 by any chance?

Sorry, just wanted to keep a record of this in case he deletes his comment. The quoting was messed up on the other one after Denon’s system or mod got through with it and the pic won’t attach to another post. I couldn’t edit the other one to fix the broken quote, can’t undo the delete while keeping the pic, and I can’t re-post the same thing as it’s “too similar to the prior post” or something and gets blocked. More Picard face palm need!

1 Like

I think these will match well with the Ortofon blacks, the DJM800 (or any Pioneer, I guess, with their characteristic phonos), and a constant directivity horn EQ boost to the highs. I’ve started turning that on at Stage Door when I do vinyl, and it really livens up the high end nicely.

I do not. I sent mine back literally a week after getting it. I did not like the feel of it at all and could not justify the price to keep it. I do, however, have access to both a 72 and a 64 and will be giving both a whirl in combination with the sc5000 next weekend.

Do keep me posted if you happen to try with the 72.

I have returned my 72 as well due to the single fact that it didn’t work with the SC5000.

Here’s a link to my camelot logo.png file I mentioned…

I also see that I incorrectly stated the SC5000 pitch fader was originally true 14-bit resolution increments in the first release firmware. It was not, though it was higher than some of the subsequent firmware revisions, which was later corrected.

When I was looking for that thread on the topic of what to do with the center display, searches kept leading back to this thread. Took about 20 minutes to finally find it.

And since all these posts will still be here long after we’re gone, I think it’s important to have correct info, and I’d made an error in my previous statement.