SC5000 High End Roll-off

Yeah guys, when a pro audio company does not consider a basic pro audio issue (frequency response) a problem, this really says a lot. Guess it boils down to the priorities of the people in charge.

2 Likes

What is a point of trying to have a adult discussion when dumbass meme posts then fall the discussion to below kindergarten level.

That’s a smart meme post that is an attempt at giving Denon/InMusic some encouragement after they’ve taken a bit of a beating in this thread. I want them to be welcomed back and feel like they’re not being piled on… you know, like you have been trying to do pointlessly to me on thread after thread on this forum. Granted you’ve just been embarrassing yourself.

5 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for 72 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 3 days.

This topic is temporarily closed for 72 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 3 days.

Very interesting thanks.

Still no news at all to this one @paul_denondj or anyone else from Denon? The last reply on this one was on Jan 31st from Gee_DenonDJ who left the company some time ago. Will someone from Denon now take this with RnD and discuss this really high priority issue and provide an answer to us?

To me the sound quality is one of the key things when playing music as a DJ? Especially when I buy such professional gear which will be used in clubs, festivals, etc. I would expect the quality of the sound to be comparable to the standard. Please note that the product description also states that the SC5000 offers a “Frequency Range: 22–22,000 Hz” which is not true at the moment.

We are all DJs and have recognised that something isn’t right about the sound quality and at first we couldn’t exactly tell what the issue was. Now we even invested all the time to debug this, created different sample files in our DAWs, did spectrum analysis and found that there is this issue with the high end roll off.

Can we not get an answer if this is a hardware limitation (if it is I can understand that you probably fear that people will switch and some will probably do if there will be no fix provided) or if it actually can be solved by software in the near future?

We all bought this very expensive hardware that is paired with software which is good but still needs a lot of fixes, but I am sure we were all aware of that and want contribute with our feedback to help to make this product grow as we all believe in it. But since there is no transparent feedback to all of us I feel quite disappointed.

7 Likes

Best comment !!! i don’t understand why @paul_denondj don’t take this seriously and don’t respond us ! like you said i’m pretty sure that is a problem to do with the hardware and they prefer to say nothing ! It’s not good for the “marketing” ! Bad sound isn’t really a good argument for selling SC5000 units ! One year since we have discovered this problem and nothing have changed in 2018 :expressionless:

The freq response figures are true though and accurate.

There is sound coming out at 22 hz and all the way through to 22 kHz . What roll off does is reduces the db levels at some of those frequencies . But there’s definitely something coming out at various db levels all the way

Hi Guys

All I can advise at this moment is that the Development Team have been told about this discussion point and are aware of, and are monitoring this thread. When I get a sufficiently technical response I can pass onto you, I will of course post that.

In the meantime, thank you for your patience.

Best Paul

10 Likes

Thank you so much for this reply! It means a lot to us as it tells us you are aware of it and discussing it internally.

This is not usual or customary usage of specs by any stretch. The SC5000 is -18.84dB down at 22khz, that’s less than 12% of baseline amplitude. Sub specs might show their -10dB down point at their infrasonic end alongside a more conservative figure like -3dB or -6dB low end down point. Amps often show their response to half amplitude, which is the -6dB signal down points. Source gear is usually even more conservative in their frequency response specs, like within ±1dB or less.

3 Likes

I don’t know how it could be purely a hardware problem if it’s also affecting the SPDIF output. That gives me hope.

1 Like

Because this is not a big problem at all. And if it’s a problem, so only for audiophiles maybe… This is very minor issue, who is interested very few users… When using a regular PA system that effectively sounds up to 18kHz, you will not notice anything…

2 Likes

I’d respectfully but strongly disagree on this one. This is the most read thread after the feature wish list, so it is certainly not ‘very few users’ who are interested. Frequency response is never a minor issue in pro audio, but in fact a defining issue. Also a good audio system is easily capable of playing right up to 20kHz. And at 18kHz the players are already way down - the music will sound and feel different.

Apart from that you may want to record your mix - or use the players in the studio as a creative tool - or put time code on one of the decks. Also the players are from the ‘prime’ and not the ‘home’ series. They are meant to compete with the very best devices from the competition.

5 Likes

I’ll take extra features over any remedy for lifting a few db in a part of the audio spectrum that few PA systems and even fewer audience members are likely to notice.

It would be nice to have an extra couple of db in a fairly innocuous part of the spectrum, but other things first please.

2 Likes

Half amplitude by 16khz ON THE SOURCE GEAR is anything but minor. Ditto with a compressor/limiter on it apparently for preventing clipping from boosting the signal. The Loudness Wars are bad enough as it is. Whatever unfortunate compression already exists on the tracks and roll-off that is occurring from the sound system and your & the audience’s own hearing imperfections, the SC5000’s sonic issues are ADDITIONAL to those. Audio short-comings are cumulative, and to start the chain with a series of them in the source device is definitely not the right way to go.

6 Likes

Mountains

Molehills

Looking back through the forums posts it’s clear that the 5000s were out and about being used for months and months, gig after gig before anyone noticed or posted anything about high end sound.

I also read on the fortune over a year ago that the world famous ministry of sound nightclub engineers and others , had done side by side DJ booth comparisons of Prime versus Nexus and the Primes won the audio shootouts.

There’s clearly more to great sound than just what the highest few percent of the frequency range is doing. According to mere numbers the honey bee shouldn’t be able to fly, but it can.

And as we know, the Primes are truly the bees knees :honeybee:

If they can adjust or tweak the high end in firmware then, that’s nice, but it’s not anything that either I, or any of my clients, or their guests are gonna notice or worry about.

2 Likes