Real Time BPM Readout Required For Each Turntable

As long as your tempos are below 200 you’re OK. :grinning:

Hi Mr Wilks & PK I will be placing my bid for this tomorrow but I did contact the seller today and asked if it was all working ok, he thinks so but can not be sure as he used it to for something else and not as intended. He has offered to refund if it is not working ok but I cant test it properly as all my equipment packed away for about 6-9 months but can test it on one SL1200 on one side first then the other, Thanks for your help. - Keith

1 Like

No worries @DJKeith

Honestly, it’s exactly what you’re after in every way and as they don’t come up too often, I’d snap it up. What it’s worth is your call but it would solve all your problems and also give you a nice beat offset meter to view as well. Nice!

As far as testing goes, plug in a turntable on one side at a time. You’ll know if it works or not from that.

1 Like

Yes, Elliot and I Developed the Beatkeeper in 1994ish. It was specific to Analog Audio and could not only do a read out, but give you the downbeat, and cross compare like we do in Engine. IN fact you will see later iterations on mixers that are of the 4 beat look and compares. We even made a version never released that have a MIDI output and sent MIDI clock data to your drum machines

At the time this came out the only other option was a device from a friend of mine that did a tapping averaging calculator. There was no DJ software and there was no Pioneer… Pioneer was next to put this in a mixer, and then Roland and a few others.

Oh and how I met Jack O’Donnell, well, Elliot and I launched this product at DJ EXPO 1995, and the Numark team reached out to us interested in bringing our technology to Mixers and CD players. Innovation. DM1635 was the first Mixer and CDN88 was the first auto mixing CD player that actually worked, though Numark had done one earlier and invented the category. I’ve been here ever since.

Everyone should always know your dream job is always possible!

12 Likes

I sold so many of the DM1635 back in the day, TY for you contributions and that was an awesome bit of history!

Yeah, but apart from that…what have the Romans ever done for us?

:grin:

2 Likes

In 2001 I was using the Axis 8s running a smart loop on a test tone CD, the MIDI hook ups looped through a sequencer / drum machine, tapping the rough BPM I wanted, and manually mixing the Emu using the player start/cue buttons, pitch fader, and jog. Turned an Emu + player into just another DJ deck for me. It was great. Lot of live remixes and working in my goofy little sequences into a set. The beatkeeper and MIDI combination was very useful on a player.

Hi CBR1 Denon Staff You speak of a tapping average calculator this is what I bought two of from Disco Supplies I still have them but boxed and ready to move so not able to check the correct name or send a close up image but I do have this old photo and you can see them one either side of my mixer.

When I bought these there was nothing else on the market so your BPM device could not have been out then, trust me Disco Supplies where very keen to sell me as mush as possible.

They worked by tapping to the beat and as long as the person doing it did it right they where pretty accurate, you would do the intro, vocal, break and so on and put it on a label so that when you played that record you entered the BPM say 115.2 the the sensor on the SL1200 knew how much you changed the deck speed by and displayed what the current BPM was. Yes they where not bad but very time consuming and I just wish I had purchased one of your devices when I could have as I just want a read out as the track is playing.

Lets just hope my bid is successful on Sunday for a second hand one.

Keith

3 Likes

Ooh there’s a Matamp Supernova! Over £1000 in the 80s.

A favourite of Froggy, and installed in a club local to me, so I got to play on one. :smiley:

1 Like

This is the kinda content I’m here for.

I’ve never owned one but always wanted one back in the 90s. Seeing you around here and not knowing you were instrumental in bringing this to fruition is sheer awesome.

Thanks for a cracking bit of DJ tech history :raised_hands:t2:

2 Likes

Hi Mr Wilks & PK

A little bit of Triva regarding the Supper Nova Mixer you may or may not find of interest. When I bought this back in the 80s it was part of a complete system but the mixer on it’s own was either £1250 0r £ 1450. cant remember but rather a lot of money back then but the spec left everything else standing.

I had a number of conversations with Mat Mathias the owner of Radio Craft at the time as I was having his Mixer & amp but he did not think my choice of speakers was as good as it could be from what Disco Supplies had told him. Anyway there was a famous DJ back then (sorry forgotten his name) who somehow he knew Mat and he told Mat that there was no good quality DJ mixer around in his opinion. So Mat spent some time designing the supper nova. On the spec it was within 5% studio quality but Mat told me it was near 2½ % You could broadcast from it and it has two out put groups so with independent EQ & volume and the faders are 75mm long.

At the point the mixer was finished the DJ in question got a radio job in the US I believe and that’s when it was passed over to Froggy to road test, he thought it was fantastic apart from the fact it did not have a cross fader, so Mat added a cross fader and he told me at the time it was the first cross fader that did not dip in sound in the middle.

Still have my one and in my opinion unless you are spending a fair amount of money this still tops many around now.

Keith

1 Like

Oh I did bid for the Newmark BCM 125 on Ebay last night I bid above everyone else when there was 1 minute and 15 seconds to go but still I was outbid.

Keith

Ahhh. I’m so sorry. I was looking at it most of the night hoping you was the lead bidder. It’s a shame someone popped you to it but they’ll be another appear at some point.

I had a look at that Matamp Supernova and it looks great for the time. I found some great info online.

IMG_7156

Johnny Morris (Showstoppers)?

Apparently Emperor Rosko was a user too.