Post parser bugs xxx

i came across two bugs of the post parser:

1. a single linebreak is ignored.
  2. the closing quote tag must be on a new line. otherwise it doesn’t work.

and one other thing that is not a bug but annoying is the topic title minimum length. 20 is too long as this very topic shows.

Hi Joxani. The single line break and minimum characters settings are, from a community point of view, welcome ways to prevent some poor netiquette posting habits.

Elsewhere, it’s possible to see people making new threads with meaningless titles, which don’t assist anyone who is searching for particular information eg: “Help me”. Think how much more useful to users searching the forum if that same topic title was “Help me. How do I switch between Loop modes?”

Similarly, posting content minimums stop users from just adding a smiley or “lol” or “+1” to a thread that is trying to gather full information from users. Very few unit behaviours show themselves in the same way to multiple users. Also different users have different ways of explaining the same behaviour. No one benefits from those different descriptions etc if someone who thinks their situation sounds sorta similar and just adds +1 where that might not be the case.

Multiple carriage returns/line breaks are converted by the forum for similar reasons, where people elsewhere make a little post, with little content take up massive amounts of screen space (and more scrolling required) by encasing their few words with dozens of line returns above and below the text.

oh i agree and i didn’t mean that these measures should be turned off but rather adjusted a little.

for example ignoring a single linebreak makes the text look worse and takes away one level of segmentation. right here e.g. this very paragraph is not different enough for a free line in between but would be a candidate for one linebreak after the first sentence.

and now when i get to the char count here, this would be the place for a free line in between. so as mentioned, by “20 is too long” i meant a little less; not turning it off. 15 for example would still have the desired effect but would also allow topics which simply don’t need more to avoid filling it up with dummy chars like i had to do here.

anyway that’s a matter of taste but the quote tag is not. it should of course always work. no matter where it’s placed because that can mess posts up for no reason.

I can agree with this, drives me crazy. Also the inabillity to break someone’s long post into multiple segments with reply underneath each segment (multiquote).