Optional USB CD Drive

There IS a Denon (Engine) USB-stick!!! Look at some of the vids for the MCX8000 launch. Acrylic, with LED light in it.

ME WANT!!!

Been bugging dear Paul for it since September last year (no such luck yet though) :stuck_out_tongue:

I get that, Clive. I still carry my core collection on MP3 CDs in twofold (after all, with 100+ tracks on a CD, big chance you might want to play another track from the same CD). And it’s why I had/have two CD players next to my controller. As a mobile DJ there is just no excuse for not performing. So triple-redundancy is usually the key.

That said, I have had scratched CDs go crazy on me too. And I have had clubs where no maintenance was done (CD players like some service and laser realignment every so often) and stuff just wouldn’t play. When I asked the management they said they didn’t know, everybody used them with USB sticks and laptops anyway LOL.

Also it IS a lot easier to create and carry 4 spare USB sticks than to carry all those CDs around.

(CD players like some service and laser realignment every so often) - I do believe that’s a common fault with Pioneer players! :grinning: #changeyourrider A good CD player shouldnt really need a laser realignment/replace. Iv only ever heard of this with Pioneer units.

Nah, even the good players need to occasional alignment - especially if they are mobile units getting thumped around all over the place. Of course, that should be done during the cleaning that good owners get done on a regular basis - and then it will never crap out while out playing live! :slight_smile:

I believe they were an extremely short production run and weren’t up to the standards required to be released at the time

I think that the possibility to play a CD track with an extended USB-drive is all it needs. Sure, you might not be able to use the performance pads or other benefits, but even in 2017 there are a lot of artists / performers / acts around who pop up with CD’s (to perform or promotional), people at weddings who want to put up an act with music on CD or bar DJ’s who leave mixtapes on CD for small bars to play on quiet moments.

Looping, some buffering and pitching might be useful with a CD, and not really hard to implement. All the other joy of the SC5000 is no ‘must-have’ when you just (occasionally) want to play a CD. It would be nice if the development team could take it a step further in functionality, but there is no absolute need for that. However the possibility to plug in a USB CD drive in case when needed would be very useful.

2 Likes

Those were just promo usb-sticks. Made for marketing purposes. You can buy them at bulk from ebay and have your company’s name/logo 3D engraved into it.

1 Like

Totally agree Addie, all that is really required is a plug in USB drive from a reputable manufacturer. You only need the basics,very much like the dual CD players of Denon’s past :smiley:

This will give people the best of both worlds, while they transfer their collections to USB drives and take full advantage of the amazing features the SC5000 has to offer! This will take time, but will be worth every hr spent transferring.

Remember spending weeks transferring Music and Karaoke discs to hard drive back in 2001. Was well worth it, no more discs to carry round that can get scratched and jump !

Who knows, if there is enough demand, Denon may add the option, But for now Denon has bigger fish to fry :grinning:

It really doesnt matter who makes your USB or SD stick. Any flash based media is susceptible. An optical drive that could read a Blu-Ray disc would be pritty dam amazing. Denon could call it a “Prime Drive” and sell it as an optional extra.

How Flash Media Can Become Corrupted

In much the same way that a rechargeable battery loses its charge after several hundred cycles, NAND flash components can also lose their ability to retain data after thousands of write/erase cycles. This is usually specified by component vendors as endurance. The endurance of SLC Flash is ten (10) times greater than MLC Flash and twenty (20) times greater than TLC. This is the main reason why SLC Flash is considered industrial grade Flash and MLC Flash is considered consumer grade Flash. Essentially, the older your flash drive gets, the less reliable it becomes. This gradual degradation doesn’t require any extreme environmental situation or physical damage to occur either.

On NAND Flash, there is also failure factor call “retention”. “Retention” is how long the cell would maintain its programmed state when the chip is not under power bias. This parameter is very sensitive to and also very dependent upon external environment. High temperature tends to reduce the retention duration. The number of read cycles performed can also degrade this retention, especially on TLC drives.

Condensation from high temperatures or high humidity can also cause the shorting of circuit board or corrosion of contacts.

One of the most frequent reasons for USB flash drive data loss is removing the media from the computer or other device incorrectly. The most common result from doing so is logical file system damage. Typically, in this situation your drive is not actually damaged even though your data is lost. But in some rare cases, the unsafe removal can also damage cells, which hold internal flash drive information, and cannot be accessed or repaired by operating systems. To extract information after this kind of failure you need help from a data recovery services professional. For this reason, it is very important to safely remove the device from the system and never unplug a USB flash drive while it is reading or writing information.

1 Like

The DN-HS5500 had an optional CD drive, it was not really 100% integrated and a little bit too load when reading the CD and acted more like a computer drive. I woulkd prefer a 100% integrated CD drive like DN-S5000, DN-SC3900, …

This!

The age of CDs is over! I can’t remember the last time I used CDs for a gig. Just have 2 or 3 redundancies of your flashdrive and you’re safe.

2 Likes

Yes, of course, but i use the player also at home and i’ve not ripped all my CD’s, why should i do all the work ?

Do you think i’ll throw all my CD’s away ?

I own CD’s and want to listen to them (at home) like other listen to their vinyls (at home).

Of course i would not take CD’s / vinyls to a gig, but i need a player for CD’s and mp3, because the most time i use the payers at home !

If I could do the work to rip all my vinyl (over 600 records) to 24bit FLAC, then surely you can rip your CDs…MUCH, MUCH easier! All you need is Max or EAC and about 15 minutes for a whole CD. The SC5000 is NOT a CD player…it’s a digital file player. Considering that all songs are distributed via Online Media File Shops now, I really do not understand this clinging to physical media. Especially outdated media.

Hanging onto vinyl makes sense to me. There is a sound quality and tactility difference that sets it apart. But CDs are nothing more than the same digital files you get from online sources. CDJs were the precursors to what the SC5000 is offering. Accept it and move forward.

If you want a player to “listen” to your CDs, then I suggest buying an AV player. It should cost you no more than $40 (US$). These are not made for simply listening to tunes, but manipulating them.

2 Likes

There, fixed that for you.

I’d have to support the notion that buying these babies to use as home wifi CD-players is kinda defeating their purpose.

Besides, unless you have a recent macbook, most laptops will take CDs and you can just play them through your controllers output.

I don’t understand you, with the last Denon DJ CD-Players there was no big difference between CD’s and mp3 files, the players could both, i don’t only “listen” to CD’s, i scratch them and do the same things as with files, and with denon players it was always possible and no problem. I always used denon players, never pioneer players, because denon produced always the best CD-players for DJ’s, why not in future ? Denon has the know how for this ! If you only use the players with files, it’s ok for me, i used for over 10 years players which could both and still want to use both posibilities in future. When i listen to music i use vinyls, CD’s, mp3 / flac files at the same time and it’s really fun to have all possibilities :slight_smile:

Because you can only cling to outdated technology so long before being forced to move on. That’s why new cars no longer have cassette decks in them. That’s why nothing has had an eight-track player in decades. I wouldn’t want to be paying the extra cost of making these backwards compatible to CDs any more than I’d want to see them backwards compatible to eight-tracks.

Whether you still have a use for them or not isn’t the issue. CDs are on the way out. Long gone in many circles. Denon, while doing a complete overhaul of their media player line, made the choice that now was the time to pull the trigger and drop the old tech. If that’s a deal breaker for you, that’s fair, and so be it. You’ll have to look for other options. But be warned, those options will be drying up soon enough too. You’ll have to be like my friend who stocked piled VCRs so that he can continue to watch his movie collection for years to come.

2 Likes

CD’s are dead, move on.

If your unable to move on, then buy a CD player.

1 Like

There are two reasons for leaving out of the 5000 (apart from the obvious “outdated technology”).

1. It costs money (design, production, parts) to put something in that the vast majority of DJs don’t use anymore (it’s also why Pioneer launched the XDJ series)

2. It takes (a relative lot of) space inside the unit. Trust me that with a full PC built into the 5000s, both space and cooling capacity (requiring some form of air flow) are at an extreme premium. Putting in a CD mechanism will take up too much space and disrupt the air flow.

When polled about wanting CDs or more powerful players, my guess is there would be a 90%+ majority that will gladly give up CD capability for more power.

2 Likes

We have a great product with the SC5000 and it was natual progression in technology to leave the CD drive out, to make way for all the great features.

There had to be a compromise and it was worth it.

As I have suggested before, Denon may add support to connect an external optical drive. Would be great to keep all options open.

But this will only happen if there is enough demand, for now start getting those CD’s transfered to hard drive and then you will see the benefits.

I did this 16 years ago and never looked back.

Don’t get me wrong, I still get people giving me CD’s to play and I have a player for that.

If there are enough DJ’s out there, get the request into Denon. But remember you will not get all the amazing features the SC5000 has to offer, due to the limitations of CD optical media.

Would be like using an old school Denon S1000 and DN4500. I used both and were great at the time.

Let’s embrace the new technolgy and enjoy the future of being creative DJ’s :sunglasses:

3 Likes