Midi Sync/Midi "START" question

Not neccessarily, any MIDI-Clock Start or Stop signal can do it. You can route it in Ableton Live, go to Preferences (cmd;) and Link MIDI.

You can check the MIDI traffic with tools like MIDIMonitor or MidiPipe The X1800 mixer sends following MIDI signals by pressing the MIDI CLOCK button: MIDI on: From X1800 Prime Note On 16 F♯-1 127 MIDI off: From X1800 Prime Note Off 16 F♯-1 0

Ok, these are not the right messages used for start and stop but we can use MidiPipe to transform these commans into MIDI-Clock Start and Stop as a workaround.

I have done something similar for the DJM for a cueing problem I had with MidiPipe, MidiPipe can be programmed in Appletalk, here the code I wrote for the cueing problem:

on runme(message) – for Ableton Live cueing if (item 2 of message ≥ 70) and (item 2 of message ≤ 75) or (item 2 of message = 110) or (item 2 of message = 115) and (item 3 of message = 0) then set item 3 of message to 64 end if if (item 2 of message ≥ 10) and (item 2 of message ≤ 17) and (item 3 of message = 0) then set item 3 of message to 64 end if return message end runme

The only problem is that the mixer stops sending MIDI-Clock, when Ableton Live is beat-linked to MIDI-Clock (EXT top left in Ableton Live) and does not receive a MIDI-Clock it stops and cut the link to MIDI-Clock. The Mixer is sending out Active Sense, maybe this can be used to generate an continuously MIDI-Clock.

If you go to youtube and search for: Beat counter with 4 x Showtec Pixel Square 16 COB or Beat Counter with Cameo COB LED PIX BAR you will find my videos showing my beat-counter connected to Ableton Live.

Yeah, I suspected that something like that is possible. If a workaround is possible, I will always try it instead of waiting for a manufacturer to add a missing feature.

Ableton can “hear” tempo data, so if you start Ableton FIRST and then hit EXT, it will adjust tempo to match the signal from the X1800. The X1800 is not sending a start command at this time. Per Denon directly - “they are aware and they are working on this” so maybe we should put this thread to bed now.

It just took me awhile to get on the phone with the right person.

For now, your mixer should not be set up as the brain of your live external gear rig. Stay tuned!

I’ve had a check through this thread and cant see any mention of the Menu options in the X1800 being mentioned so far.

For those trying to get the various different parts of MIDI to talk, have you tried these options ? -:

MIDI: These are MIDI settings that determine the MIDI channels and connections used. o Clock Send: These settings determine whether or not X1800 Prime will send MIDI Clock messages over each of these connections. For each option, select On to enable transmission or Off to disable it.  USB: This applies to both USB Ports 1 and 2. If you are using X1800 Prime to control software, set this to On.

 5pin: This applies to the MIDI out.

o Active Send: These settings determine whether or not X1800 Prime will send normal MIDI messages over each of these connections. For each option, select On to enable transmission or Off to disable it.

 USB: This applies to both USB Ports 1 and 2. If you are using X1800 Prime to control software, set this to On.

 5pin: This applies to the MIDI out.

The settings are (and have been) configured correctly since day one. It’ just not working correctly.

Apparently they’re aware of it & are working on it.

Ok. I thought I’d mention it as there was nothing in the thread about those menu options so far.

I appreciate the help Gee. For sure. Ya never know if it’s just something simple we’ve overlooked.