Midi Sync/Midi "START" question

Not neccessarily, any MIDI-Clock Start or Stop signal can do it. You can route it in Ableton Live, go to Preferences (cmd;) and Link MIDI.

You can check the MIDI traffic with tools like MIDIMonitor or MidiPipe The X1800 mixer sends following MIDI signals by pressing the MIDI CLOCK button: MIDI on: From X1800 Prime Note On 16 F♯-1 127 MIDI off: From X1800 Prime Note Off 16 F♯-1 0

Ok, these are not the right messages used for start and stop but we can use MidiPipe to transform these commans into MIDI-Clock Start and Stop as a workaround.

I have done something similar for the DJM for a cueing problem I had with MidiPipe, MidiPipe can be programmed in Appletalk, here the code I wrote for the cueing problem:

on runme(message) – for Ableton Live cueing if (item 2 of message ≥ 70) and (item 2 of message ≤ 75) or (item 2 of message = 110) or (item 2 of message = 115) and (item 3 of message = 0) then set item 3 of message to 64 end if if (item 2 of message ≥ 10) and (item 2 of message ≤ 17) and (item 3 of message = 0) then set item 3 of message to 64 end if return message end runme

The only problem is that the mixer stops sending MIDI-Clock, when Ableton Live is beat-linked to MIDI-Clock (EXT top left in Ableton Live) and does not receive a MIDI-Clock it stops and cut the link to MIDI-Clock. The Mixer is sending out Active Sense, maybe this can be used to generate an continuously MIDI-Clock.

If you go to youtube and search for: Beat counter with 4 x Showtec Pixel Square 16 COB or Beat Counter with Cameo COB LED PIX BAR you will find my videos showing my beat-counter connected to Ableton Live.

Yeah, I suspected that something like that is possible. If a workaround is possible, I will always try it instead of waiting for a manufacturer to add a missing feature.

Ableton can “hear” tempo data, so if you start Ableton FIRST and then hit EXT, it will adjust tempo to match the signal from the X1800. The X1800 is not sending a start command at this time. Per Denon directly - “they are aware and they are working on this” so maybe we should put this thread to bed now.

It just took me awhile to get on the phone with the right person.

For now, your mixer should not be set up as the brain of your live external gear rig. Stay tuned!

2 Likes

I’ve had a check through this thread and cant see any mention of the Menu options in the X1800 being mentioned so far.

For those trying to get the various different parts of MIDI to talk, have you tried these options ? -:

MIDI: These are MIDI settings that determine the MIDI channels and connections used. o Clock Send: These settings determine whether or not X1800 Prime will send MIDI Clock messages over each of these connections. For each option, select On to enable transmission or Off to disable it.  USB: This applies to both USB Ports 1 and 2. If you are using X1800 Prime to control software, set this to On.

 5pin: This applies to the MIDI out.

o Active Send: These settings determine whether or not X1800 Prime will send normal MIDI messages over each of these connections. For each option, select On to enable transmission or Off to disable it.

 USB: This applies to both USB Ports 1 and 2. If you are using X1800 Prime to control software, set this to On.

 5pin: This applies to the MIDI out.

The settings are (and have been) configured correctly since day one. It’ just not working correctly.

Apparently they’re aware of it & are working on it.

Ok. I thought I’d mention it as there was nothing in the thread about those menu options so far.

I appreciate the help Gee. For sure. Ya never know if it’s just something simple we’ve overlooked.

BumP

Bumping this thread as I’d like to be able to do something similar with Maschine and or MPC.

I honestly thought MPC would of worked with Denon x1800 being that ‘InMusic’ own Denon DJ, AKAI Professional and Rane.

I find it hard to see how Denon DJ cannot calibrate with AKAI for MPC. It would be a huge 1uP over Pio’

MIDI sync is easy. Only the start seems to be a problem to be solved.

Now I use a Roland TR-8S. Sync is no problem. Tempo variations is no problem. Start needs to be done on the Roland. Only problem I experience is the slight out of beat sync. Could be my beat-grid; would like a metronome within Engine. Could be a MIDI signal delay.

It turns out that X1800, because it’s been developed with only Serato in mind, is also not capable of recieving MIDI bpm clock from software. That capability was available with the previous generation of Denon mixers, the X1600 and X1700.

Tested the mixer with Traktor Pro 3, mixer depends on auto bpm detection. With MIDI it would snap to bpm value within 3sec.

Serato is a bit of a handicap in some cases

1 Like

I’m extremely saddened by this… I’ve just spent a lot of money (for me) on the x1800 and I honestly was foolish enough not to check that this would be possible.

Can firmware fix this, surely?

Perhaps this is because Denon X1800 Prime is not officially certified by Traktor.

That’s the difference between it and the X1600 and X1700.

No, X600 was/is also not certified and still has that feature. Sending bpm over MIDI is not exclusive to Traktor, other programs use it.

Midi Start message is not sending still. I am using USB to Ableton Live. It receives tempo, I launch a clip, and the clip playhead is blinking waiting to go, waiting on a Midi Start signal from X1800. If I start the clip, then hit EXT in Ableton, then start the clock, I can keep it working for awhile, changing clips… but this is a pain. I will tey the workaround with M4L. This doesn’t help all other users though. We should all submit a customer service report so they can be aware of how many users want this feature fixed. Can’t believe it’s included in the manual and FAQ, but doesn’t actually work a year later.

I concur with this issue. I’m using Ableton, and the Start is not sent from the X1800… I’m also doubtful that any BPM changes are being sent to Abtlton, I can see the automation recording in Ableton at all, even tough it was all armed to record. Anyone else know if the BPM is sent continuously?

I assume you are using the USB connection, so first check if the midi send is active on the USB port.

Go to the X1800 control panel

UTILITY-> SYSTEM ->MIDI -> CLOCK SEND -> USB -> ON

You will probably also need to set the Ableton clock to External

I tried with every preference imaginable before posting my issue over a year ago. The X1800 has an issue that is beyond configurations. The MPC live does as well.

Hi Ethan - yes all those are set and non funcionado