MCX8000 has gone nuts in the middle of a gig

Having a really bad experience just now. About 2 hours in to my gig the controller started acting weird with VDJ. Midi was going nuts when moving faders etc. No problem I thought, swap over to standalone and restart VDJ.

Turns out the whole controller has gone loopy and not even standalone mode can be engaged. I’m in the middle of a packed club gig and have managed to get the volume levels set with my mouse but if I touch anything even the cue buttons it changes all the volumes and EQ. All I can use is play and pause.

I can’t reboot due to it being so busy, and worse than anything I can’t swap to standalone either.

Still got an hour to go and I’m crapping myself. My confidence in the MCX8000 is seriously shaken as I had always thought standalone mode would save me.

Just an update since I’m home now. It seemed to correct itself after probably 45 minutes of working with just the play button. I moved a fader by mistake and it worked as normal and everything responded correctly until the end of the gig.

Will keep an eye on this as I haven’t had any problems with the controller before tonight

I had this very same issue I have had once before.

I found every control was going nuts. The cue mix was bringing up the master and the only thing I could control was the play and cue buttons. I could mix in a very basic way. This went on for around 20 minutes but the venue was very busy so couldn’t turn the controller off but in the end I had to and killed the vibe as it took time for Serato to reconnect.

I couldn’t switch to USB stand alone mode too. I put it down to a total MIDI freak-out and I’ve only had it once. It was reported before but there wasn’t a resolution to it.

Could I ask any developer or Gee if there is any way to switch between the USB/MIDI mode if this happens? I’d like to think there is an override for such instances as under the units development these type of scenarios will have been envisioned. As USB is a back up and things fail, how can a swift change over be guaranteed?

I love the MCX8000 but feel there is these little quirks that pop up from time to time.

One function that could be introduced, if this is at all possible, is a “reset” option that reboots the MIDI commands while keeping the music flowing. The MCX8000 wouldn’t require a power cycle and will keep the music flowing while the MIDI layer is rebooted.

Having to switch off the unit while in a packed club (1000+) gave me a total nightmare and still sweat over the memory!

If anyone from development wants to talk about what we’ve experienced then I could fire-off more details. It was around a year ago it happened.

Thanks for your reply, glad it has happened to someone else too :slight_smile:

As I said above the controller has been 100% reliable previously so not sure why this would happen.

I’ve had it running for a few hours today and working as normal. Hopefully it’s just a gremlin that doesn’t happen too often. One good thing is that it didn’t affect the sound output and I now know I can still operate with the mouse if it returns.

Would be good if @Gee_DenonDJ can advise if this is common or has been reported to tech support outwith the forum.

Apart from the two cute Spielberg films, i dont tend to believe in Gremlins. I believe there has to be a cause, be it operating system, electrical, mechanical or whatever-ical.

The only total loss of control instances that I’ve heard of with any all-in-one which then wouldnt replicate the fault elsewhere, or seemed “back to normal” elsewhere, was just down to local electrical issues at the venue/playout location.

One PA system was actually sending (un)reasonably high voltage back up through the master out leads INTO the master outs, causing mayhem.

In another instance, the audio was on a diesel generator being shared with the kitchen equipment (brownouts causing issues all night).

Another was bad earthing/grounding beyond what the little plug-in 3 pin plug-testers would identify - and of course, as soon as the gear is tried elsewhere, on good electrics, it performs fine.

Sometimes these things can take MONTHS to show up and get resolved as you cant start whipping out the electrical tester kit and probing the wall sockets in/around the DJ booth while you’re in the middle of a set. And typically, if the club is tested the next day, the parameters have changed - eg: The club kitchen isnt pulling power in the daytime, the venues hungry air-conditioning isnt running in the day, the extractor fans arn’t pulling a million cubic feet of air out of the venue every minute except during the hours of darkness etc. Sometimes that certain dimmer pack or lighting rack doesnt leak voltage until it’s been running for 4 hours solid etc etc.

The US guys suffer from “dirty mains” more often than some other locations, and typically there are a range of Mains power conditioners, uninterruptible power supplies.which can be obtained and used between a venues power system and the visiting PA user. These are rare in the UK, but not uncommon, and in fact quite regularly used by DJs who perform in marquees and outdoor events. Very often a “simply” uninterruptible power supply for the mixer/all-in-one controller (not on speakers or amps) would help to filter out “dirt” in the mains supply and can often store just enough power to smooth off the highs and lows of brownouts etc.

Ok, if the mixer/all-in-one gives the same odd behaviour in multiple venues, miles apart, then I’d suggest booking the unit into an authorised service centre.

Don’t think it’s a voltage issue. I’m in the UK and have used the same controller in the same power socket in the same club every Wednesday since last June, and this is the first time it’s happened.

I also plug the MCX8000 power block in to an anti-surge adapter.

You never know though … I’ll keep an eye on it. Thanks.

so there, something has changed and why shouldnt it be the clubs sockets especially afer the boozey christmas gigs with everyone else in the booth being a little less carefully and all that have now passed.

Anti-surge means nothing in terms of voltage conditioning. its just a slow fuse really. anti-surge doesnt do anything for voltage changes or rough mains power. the olny time anti-surge is going to help is if something utterly totally catastrophic happens to the venue - - like a lightning strike or something conductive joining the clubs master fusebox live and earth wires together.

basically. if you’re looking at power conditioners and wondering how to work out good ones and bad ones then go with the idea that the heavier it is then the more good its gonna do for gear thats plugging into it.

A good insight Gee, thanks.

Whatever happened to kradcliffe was the same as me so yes, it seems we managed to trigger the identical condition to invoke this behaviour.

It happened just the once in this particular venue I’d played (I’ve played there around 10 times before). I’ve never seen it happen again.

Whatever happened, it didn’t cause an audio issue only a control issue. I’ll see if it happens again and hopefully it won’t but I’d love to know if there is something that can be done to keep the music flowing.

I guess the USB/PC switches are software based? A hardware switch that physically switches between the two modes would kill the connection on the PC side of things and give me full USB control but as the switch seems to be software, I couldn’t do it.

Can we have a sort of “ctrl alt del” that gives us control again?

I was about to post the same thing.

Just for reference I have done 3 gigs since (one in the same venue) and have not had any more issues. Will keep an eye on things and let you know if it happens again.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

Keith