Feature Requests - What would You like to see?

I think you mean the 2900/3900 could communicate with a computer over a switch,

No, it’s pretty obvious that I was refering to wi fi linking option with ipad only in my post. We can only hope DenonDj develops the android/ios app again for use on Prime setup. Or at least bring back the link option through ethernet (that you mention) that is still missing from Engine Prime after a year.

Being able to dj from the restroom would be nice too. Maybe even a theft recovery feature where if it connects to the internet it’ll notify you its location and stuff if your gear gets stolen.

Bringing back the pitch slider diff’s to 0.02 at minimum O:)

1 Like

Color Waveforms Thanks

A post was split to a new topic: iPad connectivity on SC2900/3900

When switching between crates the last position you were in crate list instead of jumping back to the top of the list. Same for the Engine Prime.

5 Likes

0.01 at 4%, 0.02 at 8%, 0.05 at 10% & 20% & 50%, and 0.1 increments at 100% would probably do the trick for people I think, but I can be content with 0.05 increments at every pitch range as it apparently is on the latest firmware.

Any particular reason why they’re using those particular ranges? I would think 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 or 4, 8, 16, 24 or 32, 50, 100 would be optimal. 8 and 10% are sort of redundant. Very minor niggle, if I can even call it that, though.

My wish list remaining then is a Retro Mode to hide moving waveforms, phase/phrase meter (if it has one), and BPM on the HUD. Customization browser columns. Get the ethernet linking up.

I am definitely pulling the trigger on one to try though. At least with testing one unit in dual layer.

That’s a pitch layout I would also prefer. Eitherway, would be nice to have this as a setting to be selectable for users.

1 Like

they are already colored … 3 distinct colors, green white blue. better than this?? if you add colors to the waveform you only get confused. I use Serato for some time, and I find that between the two waveform, those Denon are the best. My opinion is obvious.

1 Like

RGB colors like the serato colors.

To be honest, I’ve don’t much like pitch ranges below 8 or 10%, anyway, except for their deep pitch resolution. The drift that’s going to occur with 0.02 increments is so small, you could ride it for minutes at a time already. I’m not sure 0.01 increments at a range half the size is going to be useful. If they can already get classic deep pitch increments at a range higher and more normal, then they might want to just drop the 4% range if it’s an issue of coding complexity and not wanting a ton of ranges with their own unique increments that each has to be verified extensively for new firmware updates. The minimum “can’t complain” requirement, in my opinion, is just 8% (0.02), 16% (0.05), 32% (0.05), and 100% (0.1) or even 10% (0.02), 20% (0.05), 100% (0.1), but putting 0.05 on 100% is obviously not a bad thing. It’s too touchy to be necessary, but not making anything worse.

4% and 8% are the only ones I use. Anything above 10 is a gimmick for me.

I mostly play techno so plus minus 4% for me makes a mix super tight at an average of 128bpm or so.

I routinely do multi-genre stuff with higher pitch ranges. Units that jump from 16% range to 100% range are slightly annoying but usable with 0.1 increments, but very troublesome if at 100% the pitch resolution isn’t 0.2 or better. Increments or 0.5 or (!!!) 1.0 are sort of appalling for that purpose. So some ranges between 16 and 100 I find quite useful, though I do often stay at 10 or 16% within genres. So 8% wouldn’t work for you if it still had 0.02% increments?

Seems like with the current 0.05 increments at 4%, the tiniest movements of the pitch fader will probably do nothing, right? I’m used to 0.05 increments at 4X larger pitch range and every little nudge of that fader causes an expected change in speed. My biggest grievance with digital DJ gear is doing something to it and it not having any effect, whether that be a jog bend deadzone or increments on a pitch fader not being fine enough. If I bend that outside of the jog even a little, I want it to do something, even if just a little bend. If I nudge that fader, it’d better change the speed.

Yep. That’s why I like your suggestion of smaller increments on lower pitch ranges. I’ve already asked it to be a setting after it had been changed to 0.05.

I can’t imagine them making the increments an optional setting. There’s got to be some reason they chose to standardize the pitch resolution increments and I’m curious what the reason is. It looks like they chose it based on the smallest increment they could achieve at 100% range. So then, is this reason so important they can’t bring back at least just one deep pitch at a small range? If it could be just one pitch range (and not two) then I’d vote for 8 or 10% having 0.02, drop the lower ranges (since classic deep pitch is 0.02 at 4 or 6% and that’d now be redundant), and leave the 0.05 at the higher ranges. If that happened, would you be angry at the loss of the lower ranges if this new lowest range (the higher one) now has 0.02?

It used to be lower (0.01 @ 4%), but was changed in a later firmware version to 0.05.

I wouldn’t drop the lower ranges for other reasons.

I assumed that was just at lower ranges. Someone also said 0.01 was the increment at 4% originally. Are you saying it was 0.02 at all the pitch ranges before?

Testing players and controllers with 14bit faders in VDJ with edited skins, the pitch faders do allow deterministic increments of better than 0.01 at 6% and nearly 0.01 at 8% and 10%.

At 12% it’s starting to get closer to 0.02 increments with only occasional changing by 0.01.

While I personally think 0.02 would be sufficient to be truly deep long-blend pitch resolution, having 0.01 increments is not too touchy or random where it falls upon, even if it might be higher resolution than necessary.

VDJ actually internally registers and calculates for keylock & sync to the fourth decimal, but as I stated previously the 3rd and 4th digits are essentially random, so I don’t show them on skins.

Assuming they wouldn’t have removed capability/features on a whim and they standardized the increments for some good reason, then what’s the highest increment at the lowest pitch range you’d be comfortable preserving (or going back to) if they can sacrifice one or two of the standardized/same pitch increments at the lowest ranges and re-implement them as unique increments?

That’s “if” they can; not saying that’s really doable since we don’t know the coding reason for the change. That many different ranges all with the same resolution is pointless, in my opinion, and counter-intuitive if at the lowest ranges you can nudge the fader and it does nothing.

In my opinion either the lowest range or two should be removed or they need to have deep pitch ability.

Btw I think we need to move the pitch discussion to the other topic:

2 Likes

Don’t exactly know what the values where at different ranges. I noticed the change after the firmware update when mixing tracks. Like stated, I only use 4 or 8%. Those where way more precise than it is now.