Engine Prime Features Suggestion

Hi @ all, I’m new to the denon forum. I’m coming from pioneer/rekordbox gear and changed to the sc5000/x1800. What I’m missing in Engine Prime, as mentioned by broady, is:

1. metronome
  2. a DETAILED and clear,accurate waveform, in Prime software and in the SC5000 players
  3. Auto-Loop ability triggered by SC5000

It would be superb, if you want to go a step further on, to add

1. a coloured waveform for each part, not only coloured cue-points (e.g. bar 1-16 waveform coloured blue for intro beat, bar 17-…coloured red and so on)

the sync between players seems for me not “tight” enough, means, if I want to beatmatch over the sync knob, it sounds that the 2 tracks drift away from each other(hope I explained it right:grinning:)

What about you out there?Do you have the same problems?

To be honest: no, I just mix by ear and know the tracks I play. :sunglasses:

To be fair: yes, metronome would be handy to make accurate grid. Waveform for me is fine: Three colors for high mid low. Visual aid for breaks. I heard that DenonDJ chose the “white green blue” for DJ’s that are slightly colorblind. The normal red yellow green could be problematic.

But yes, why not make it a choice in the settings! Everyone happy!:+1:t2:

Hey Reese, nice to get a reaction here.What about the “washy” waveforms? What do you think? What would you improve in both, soft -and hardware?

Same here, three colours is enough. I’ve seen multi color waveforms on dj software and it’s pants. I mean, wow it looks preeeetttty but tells you noting for certain that 3 colours doesn’t already tell you. After all, say we could have 64 colours waveforms … purple for violins, yellow for trumpets, green for woodwind, light teal for piano, dark cyan for xylophones etc… we’re not really gonna be able to make head nor tail of all that from a scrolling waveform whizzing past at the sort of zoomed in levels you’d need it to be, in order to pick out any of the colours and differentiate light purple from mauve or violet or light red from pink.

Three colours are fine and yeah keep away from using red please as flickering, flashing, scrolling moving red colour are the most likely colour to trigger those with photosensitive epilepsy. Not that I suffer from that but not everyone is so lucky

3 Likes

Ditto! I very much prefer the way Denon has done the waveform compared to the multi-colour options offered by others. The full multi-colour ones are so busy it’s hard to tell what’s going on in your tracks clearly (is that a vocal break, is that a melody break, etc, etc…). With the new Denon style I can eyeball the full track and know exact what is what quickly, and very accurately.

1 Like

Bug report: With the search modification list open (open by magnifying glass) the underlaying tooltips are showing…

See image for example:

I can’t help but disagree here.

Denon’s waveform colors are too similar for me to be able to tell the difference between frequencies. I LOVE RGB waveforms the other software uses. One of them even changes color based on whether or not you’re manipulating the knobs. For example, if I cut the high and mids out of a track, the waveform will be almost completely red, meaning only lows are being heard. I can also tell whether or not a song is bass-heavy, has a lot of mids, or is mostly highs just by looking at the waveform, and I can think on the fly of what songs go with what.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion or workflow. Some should be VJs instead. :sunglasses:

It could be a setting if DenonDJ would invest time in that development. Like I stated earlier.

I just want to add my voice to others calling for Engine to actually monitor and update folders. I don’t want to have to manually drag everything from a folder to a crate, when the crate could just be linked to and refresh the content from the folder.

I really want to love this laptop free performing, but some things seem so much more difficult and probably shouldn’t be. Prior to using the SC5000s, I’d just connect my drive with my newly added tracks and hit refresh. Boom, all the new music in my library is where it belongs, shows up in a search, etc. Having that functionality in the library management software would be at least one step closer to meeting the convenience of DJ software solutions.

Another thing that isn’t so much a feature request, but under the hood performance issue. Prime is super slow when you rename tracks. My workstation at home that I use it on is a souped up computer 4K video editing workstation, all high performance SSDs, 64gb ram, gobs of processing and video power. Yet if I change the name of a song in Prime, it takes it like 5 seconds or more to update. At first I had my music on my media server, which is connected via 2 Gigabit network connections to my router, and it was slow. I blamed the server, and moved everything to an internal SSD. Turns out, something in Engine Prime just makes file renaming a time consuming task.

1 Like

That’s just plain opposite to what I’d need. If I’ve reduced or killed a frequency I want the waveform to show me visibly ALL the frequencies coming up so I know when to reinstate the frequency. Like I might kill off the bass for 16 bars, preparing for a big drop, but if the waveform has all its bass removed from the screen, it’s lost the info what’s I need.

I more than happy with the three colours on the Primes already

1 Like
  1. yes

2. yes

3.undecided for now

1. absolutely

5.Flexible beat gridding - absolutely absolutely absolutely

1. not yet needed myself but yes if its a must

7.would be a nice touch for those tricky breaks and bpm offsets I often come across

1. excellent idea how about also giving us some small markings for 8,16,32 bar marks and 2 markers independent to the set created for start end points this would allow for much better timing in our mix sets visual aid is important today and helps you concentrate on the mixers more and looping etc.
1 Like

Is there a fixed beat counter, the 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 moves around on my SC5000 when i set a temp cue with the CUE button. It becomes 1.

I’m used to using Serato beat marker numbers as a way to know how many beats are left for phrasing.

Can it be an option in the preferences

Beat Counter Original :white_circle: Fixed :radio_button:

1 Like

I will like to request a proper beat gridding function. Dynamic/Flexible Beat gridding will be desirable.

I have problems beat-gridding even simple tracks that is not house music when the calculated BPM is off.

Ive never been a fan of tempo tapping as its not accurate. What i find accurate in other software is to adjust the spacing between markers.

Can you please include “adjust beat markers” option.

It currently has only Shift Beat Markers in two different ways ; 1st one slides, second one jumps by one beat increment.

Why is that even necessary? That could have been addressed with a Shift.

3 Likes

I have a big suggestion. Something that won’t be done anytime soon.

I think many of us are on the road a lot, either for daytime jobs or for our gigs. In some or many cases this is by public transportation, be it trains, planes, buses or in the PA truck.

To me it would be great if I could just toss a playlist in a/the cloud and then have an iPad app to further prep my track, including beatgridding it. A tablet being so much more practical than lugging around a laptop, never mind the usually very limited space available to put a laptop down properly.

Maybe I am the only one, but it’s a thought.

1 Like

Data Sync via Cloud and an iPad App to go would be an big argument for the prime series.

2 Likes

dont know if allready suggested but i would LOVE to have a relocate/research file added. so when i drag files from a history list from my stick, and i remove the stick, i can tell prime to search for the files on my laptop. same when i renamed files, let prime research the folders for the changed files. and if prime could read the track info i put in when ripping my cd’s i would be superhappy!

or is there a way to add id3tags to wav files? in a way prime could read it? with mp3 no problems with tags or tagging but with wav it keeps giving me trouble…

tnx and keep up the good!

i do use a fast file renamer to sort out spaces around the '- ’ in filenames. do you have another suggestion for such renaming/tagging jobs? …since that just might cause/solve my problems… thanks so much!

I’d say rip to FLAC. Saves space. Quality 100% the same AND tags.

Most tagging utilities have options for doing things like that. MP3Tag and Tag&Rename come to mind. If it’s just filenames you want to change, a tool like Total Commander gives you a lot of (batch) rename options.

1 Like

Well i have my whole collectie ripped in wav so i rather have a workaround if possible… But i also noticed no problem with tags in flacon so kudos for that!