Displays frozen on boot up

WSo this has started happening and seems to be getting worse.

I turn on MCX 8000 using the power switch at the back, no usb cables or memory sticks plugged in. The unit is totally stand-alone. Nothing other than a power cable is plugged into the 8000.

The unit seems to boot up as it normally does, but then I notice that the displays (both) are still showing the blue Denon logo although the switch above the faders are on Engine (standalone). Usually after boot up, the display shows usb1 & usb2.

I plug memory stick into usb1ā€¦ Nothing. Eject it by pressing the button (which does seem to work as the led flashes & then stops), then plug the memory stick into usb2ā€¦Nothing. Then I try flipping the switches above Chā€™s 1&2 between Pc, Engine & Lineā€¦ Nothing.

Then I decide to see if the unit will work with Serato, I plug the usb cable into my mac & 8000, start up Serato (1.9.6) & waitā€¦Nothing (display wise anyway). Serato detects the 8000 & the unit seems to function normally but the screens are still stuck on the blue Denon logo.

If I reboot the 8000, it starts & operates fine thereafter. I have also noticed that if I turn on the 8000, then switch off & restart it again, I donā€™t experience the usual right deck screen freeze that I normally do if I just boot up once & start using it.

It seems like my 8000 doesnā€™t boot up correctly on the first boot. I have become so used to the right hand display freezing ā€˜sooner or laterā€™ that Iā€™m actually getting used to it now!!

However the displays freezing at start up is a new issue that has only recently started happening (friday night was the first time, it happened again on Sat (twice) & Sunday (twice)) and is an issue that I just canā€™t ignore.

Iā€™ll appreciate any of Denonā€™s staff to give some feedback on this please. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Is there anything new plugged into the same mains outlet, or nearby which could be causing interference through the mains?

Thanks for responding DJ_Boothe. Nothing new or unusual plugged into the mains. This happened once at the club & the other times at home. Rebooting the controller seems to solve the issue, I donā€™t unplug anything from the mains before I reboot either. So Im doubtful that it has anything to do with the mains. If I think back, Iā€™m slightly swayed to thinking that my display problems began after the last firmware update that I did. For the majority of last year I donā€™t recall having screen issuesā€¦ But I canā€™t say that with certainty. Is there any way to install older firmware? That way I can test & see whether that is the case.

Hi Craig,

I had the same issue with my MCX8000 as well, with the displays freezing up (transport controls still working fine) after updating the system firmware to 1.5.

I tried downgrading the system firmware to 1.3, but this did not help the issue. After going through the array of troubleshooting steps, I had to RMA the unit and receive a new one.

The replacement unit has not frozen on me once, but I have also not upgraded the firmware for fear this happens again. I tried to upload pictures of the new 8000 vs the old unitā€™s versions (the new unit has a higher Display Version but older everything-else), but new forum users cannot upload images, it seems. :frowning:

1 Like

the same problem with me, the displays freezing up (I tried in standalone / serato was still not working). even I can not open the settings menu and can not update the firmware. I have sent an email but it has been almost 2 weeks still have not received a reply from the Denon. :cry:

iā€™m having the same issues, have been for a while now, i end up having to reboot the mcx several times before it actually boots up properly, with me itā€™s same items plugged in and itā€™s on different power supplies as iā€™m a mobile dj. i find it worse if i donā€™t use the mcx for say 2 weeks it then plays up, but is fine if i use it a couple of times a week.

1 Like

This really doesnt sound like anything firmware related and Iā€™d recommend getting the unit sent in to an authorised service centre. Itā€™s obviously the same firmware that stays in the unit from one use to the next, so when you say ā€œI find it worse if I dont use the MCX for say 2 weeksā€ that really suggests some sort of hardware situation which needs attention.

No amount of firmware tweak can fix a hardware issue.

Itā€™s service centre time.

All,

For what itā€™s worth, I havenā€™t had any issues with display or transport controls freezing since RMAing my unit in September. If you are getting frozen displays out-of-the-box, it would be worth your while to look into having your unit RMAed as well.

Cheers.

I have the same problem twice. Actually checked this forum before I sent it in the first time. Nothing would boot, and itā€™s basically just a 4 channel mixer at this point. Really frustrated because I had this RMAā€™d, shipped it to a center in Reno, received the MCX8000 back and it still has the same problem!! Denonā€¦ why. Why wouldnā€™t you test it before sending back to me? Iā€™m still under warrantee, but this is crazy. Iā€™ve been unable to DJ with my own equipment for TWO MONTHS NOW. Currently awaiting reply on the case. They shouldā€™ve replaced it instead of attempting to fix the controller. Obviously the MCX8000 has hardware issues for some units, but if yawl are aware there is a problem like this, it should be REPLACED, like a faulty part in a car. Iā€™m emotionally and financially distraught over this lol. Someone please help.