Connecting to PC (for recording only)

I used to own a Numark mixdeck, with this I simply connected the mixdeck to my pc via a SS to USB 2.0 cable.

With the SC5k’s I received two blue SS to USB 3.0 cables, but these I cannot connect to the mixer, but they connect to the players. What are these blue cables for?

I am a bit confused now, do I use the green UTP cable to connect the mixer to my laptop? And wich software programm do I use?

I tried with audacity, but that doesn’t work (up-to-now)…

Hope to hear what I’m doing worong, a more detailed maual would als help to prevent these novice questions…

For connecting the players to the PC (soon the players will be able to control SeratoDJ program).

No, currently the UTP cable serves no purpose for the mixer, you cannot connect your mixer to you laptop/PC with the UTP cable. Currently.

If you want to record your mix from the mixer by using the internal audio interface, connect it with your laptop with the supplied USB cable. If your laptop has windows os, install the windows driver. You can use Audacity software but you will need to (on the mixer utility menu) set your output usb channel 1/2 to “master”/“record” (whatever it is labeled) because Audacity cannot access the default master output usb ch.

FYI: Traktor Pro can be set to record from any usb channel, you can use it apply Traktor effects to audio from external sources (players, vinyl) and simultaneously record your final mix.

1 Like

Thanks for your quick reply.

I’ll check tonight where I can connect the mixer with the supplied USB cable, any tips? I can’t detect any USB slot on the mixer up-to-now…

cheers!

Or do you mean the 2.0 to USB on top of the mixer?

Yes. (20 characters)

1 Like

Thanks, together with your other tip on the settings I’ll get it to work.

Yes the two usb ports top right on the mixer, usb cable to laptop, smooth sailing. I record via traktor works like charm.

1 Like

Surely I found the utiliy menu, where can I set usb channel 1/2 to master,record? Please bare with me, I’m sure it can’t he that hard, I’m just not seeing it…

cheers!

Utility -> Advanced audio -> USB Audio

• USB Audio: These settings determine the routing and levels of USB audio.

o CH1–4/Master/Cue Assign: These settings determine which USB audio channels (1/2–9/10) will receive the audio signal from Channels 1–4 (CH1–CH4), the master mix (Master), and the cue channel (Cue). o Output Level: This is an offset to the volume level of the master mix sent to your computer over a USB connection: -20dB to +20dB. o Ch Input Level: This is an offset to the volume level of the audio signals sent to Channels 1–4 from your computer over a USB connection: -20dB to +20dB

again, what;'s the best db setting?

Sorry for asking novice questions, I’m not a native English speaker this complicates things somewhat…

@JuleLeMans I wil send you a direct message though the forum and explain and try to hook you up in Dutch

1 Like

For those who read along this topic I also translated my DM in English:

In response to this message. In Dutch, it’s a bit faster with types. I will describe it as completely as possible.

The (green) UTP cables can be used to link the SC5000 players into a network. At the backside of the mixer is a built-in router for this. Through this UTP network, you can play all tracks on a USB or SD connected to an SC5000 on both players. Thus, a inserted USB drive on player 1 can be used on player 2. In addition, the UTP ensures that timing information and BPM + the color of the CUE buttons are know by the X1800. There is also a UTP port for PC on the X1800, but I do not believe there is any official support at this time.

For USB on the SC5000 you have the following options: 1x USB 2.0 input on the front 2x USB 3.0 input on the back 1x USB port to PC. A standard USB cable is included. This port is for sending and receiving MIDI from a computer.

For USB on the X1800 mixer: 2x USB connector at the top right of the mixer. These connectors allow you to connect a PC with a standard USB cable (if i’m right, 1 USB cable is included in the box)

This USB is both an input (input) and output (output) between your mixer and your PC and can also be used with MIDI.

If you want to playback from your PC via USB, so you want to use your PC as an input, select above your channel (1 to 4) on which you want to play ‘USB’ at the input select (where digital, line, phono, USB and DVS are) . With the USB 1/2 switch you can then choose whether the channel on the mixer is listening to the left (USB1) or right (USB2) USB port. Therefore, if it is USB 1 and a computer is connected to the USB1 port, this channel checks the corresponding channel in your software.

Then to use the USB as an output (to record from the mixer to the PC via USB)… The X1800 itself ensures that 10 channels pass through 1 USB cable to the PC. Just (as for example with DMX for lights), this listens to ‘addresses’.

In Utilities, Advanced Audio, USB Audio you can set these channels (addresses). A pair of 2 channels is left and right for the selected signal. So you have USB 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 and 9/10. These can be assigned to the mixer channels (CH1, CH2, CH3, CH4) or to the MASTER (total mix) and to the CUE channel. This allows you to record separate tracks of your overall mix, but at the same time separate from your channels, so you can edit your mix later on the PC. A picture as an example:

DAW stands for Digital Audio Workstation (or Digital Audio Recording System). More info on Wikipedia:

Dutch Wiki on DAW: https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digitaal_audiomontagesysteem English Wiki on DAW: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_workstation

In your DAW (recording) program you can specify how the program listens to the incoming channels. For your example DAW Audacity you can look here: USB Recording - Audacity Manual

Pay attention! For Windows, you must first install the DRIVER of the X1800. You can download it here:

download Windows Driver X1800

You can also find current drivers at http://denondj.com/x1800prime

For an Apple Mac, no additional driver is required, these are Class Compliant (plug-in play).

Output Level, I would personally leave default, unless your software specifies specific requirements. Output level indicates how loud the Master Mix is sent to the PC. Just try, so you can make it louder or softer after testing.

Ch Input Level: Idem as above, however, this tweaks the input volume at the USB Input on Channel 1 - 4.

I hope to have this made you more familiarized with the routing of the players and table. Success recording :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Absolutely brilliant explanation. Bravo.

Explanation is absolutely appreciated, and Addie made quite an effort, but I can’t get my X1800 to work with Audacity, when it comes to recording. Have you been able to get it working?

I’n trying to connect the X1800 to my Macbook and Ableton to record. I’m looking into ‘Utility > USB Audio’ and trying to find where my Master is routed to, but the only options I’m seeing are Ch1-4, the manual refers to Ch1-4, Master and Cue being routable. Anyone else seen this? I only want to record the master.

The mixer is updated to the latest firmware.

So you don’t see ch9-10 then? Those are master.

Thanks Reese, that makes perfect sense - I’ll give it a shot

Hey!

Greetings everyone! I hope this forum is still active.

I own the SC5000 Players and the X1800 Mixer and I have a windows PC in the studio.

The pc doesn’t recognize the mixer through USB even though I have the latest driver installed.

Any solutions for this?

I’m on Windows 10. Soundcard - Scarlett 2i2

Has anyone else experience of recording to a DAW as above? I’ve setup to record into Ableton on my Mac, it works really well and I can see on the channels… however, the big issue is LAG. Its 100-200ms out of sync with what I can hear on my headphones. Did anyone else face that issue? what was your resolution?

Cheers.

green.

Used mine this morning (going out from USB to my DAW) for the first time to cut a quick cheer mix and yes, if you’re monitoring through your computer there is lag for sure. I could see the waveform delay even though I just monitored through the mixer itself which had zero delay of course. I would think you could correct the delay within the settings on your daw though if you needed to?

1 Like